  • In total there are 20 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Extending battery life

by argonaut » 06 Oct 2019, 10:54

Point thought worth mentioning. .. as we head towards winterising.

Often batteries are ‘killed’ by the build up of Lead Sulphate, which stops a charge being produced on the plates where sulphating has occurred.

You can prevent this ...
I install a cheap pulse unit, when battery is not being used, it puts a reverse polarity small pulse across the plates, removing sulphate before it takes hold.

I leave this on all season, off season my batteries are on a SMART charger (CT5).. so not needed then.

Does it work ... in my opinion yes, main cranking battery now 7 years old and still working fine.

There are many makes on the market ... this one I used:
http://www.extralifepulse.com/pages/ext ... pulse.html
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by betty boop » 08 Oct 2019, 18:27

i tested something similar to one of those for the defunct SB&R mag at the time it was £80 a battery and not worth it, but at £20 may be it is now. but with the CT5 charger my batteries last 5 years easy so I didnt see the point if you have decent trickle charger.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 08 Oct 2019, 19:52

Maybe you are missing the purpose of my post ..... I use a Cetek CT5 when out of season .... have both batteries in doors connected.
Agree that the SMART charge function keeps the battery in good condition.

I use the ExtraLife module permanently connected to my battery when it is on the boat .... it protects my battery for the period Mar - Nov, I don't use the Cetek charger during that period as I use the boat one a week.