Boat Projects Forum

GPS Cruise Control - take 2

by argonaut » 14 Aug 2020, 19:45

GPS Speed Control Project

This is not my first speed control project, on my Monterey I added Hydrophase …. Electrically simple but needed stepper motor & control cable hook- up, which took time.
(see viewtopic.php?f=55&t=259)
Changed my boat to a FourWinns and a Volvo Penta I/O .... this has a newer fully digital control, and Hydrophase does not work with digital engine controls, so instead went with ZeroOff. for speed control.
This connects into boats digital CAN-Bus (NMEA2000), though does not use standard NMEA200 connectors (more to follow on this)

First off this is the bunch of items I need to connect up ….. it looks a whole lot of wiring.

L resize131.jpg
L resize131.jpg (244.35 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Initially, I bought the 5” display, but there was not an easy way to mount the 5” display in my dash …. Changed kit for a 3.5” display instead.
The dash looks like ……

L resize41.jpg
L resize41.jpg (253.95 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

In the centre is where they fit GPS if you order it …. What it comes with without GPS is the Aluminium frame and a recessed angled ‘accessories’ shelf, for sunglasses or phone.

After lots of consideration and suggestions from many, decided to remove the rear ‘accessories part’ that released the frame - I very carefully filed a curve to exactly match the display dial.

L resize81.jpg
L resize81.jpg (158.79 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Decided to fit a flat ‘blanking plate’ and mount gauge in that, with some effort to make it neat.
I then with some accurate measurement had produced a drawing of what I wanted .. and had a neighbour turn that into a CAD file for me.
Took this to a Graphics shop, and had it CNC routed out of 5mmm acrylic.

L resize121.jpg
L resize121.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Now I could have painted the acrylic, or left as glossy plastic ….. but wanted better as a new boat, so instead took it to a Hydrographics shop and had it Wet Transfer Printed with a Carbon fibre finish

L resize71.jpg
L resize71.jpg (197.68 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Now assembling all 3 parts I can see the effect I wanted.

L resize91.jpg
L resize91.jpg (331.06 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Then pulling it all together the finished item was installed in the dash.

L resize61.jpg
L resize61.jpg (272.75 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

.
L resize51.jpg
L resize51.jpg (231.52 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 16 Aug 2020, 16:09

Bloomin eck argonaut, you should start a marine engineering business. :)

by argonaut » 18 Aug 2020, 18:36

It was a major job for sure ... I had to get Boat manufacturer, Engine Manufacturer & GPS cruise Control supplier to agree it would work .... I have never used CanBus before ..... and initially they sent lovely diags with a standard NMEA200 bus .... simple job to screw in a Tee piece.
Boat arrived - does not have NMEA 2000 backbone ... such fun.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 11 Sep 2020, 19:28

Just an update .... GPS was working ..but speed control was not working.
Support from ZeroOff was superb, gave me a couple of tests, and got me to provide data from diagnostics, and advised the issue was reversed CanBus signals ... boat wiring schematic had colours reversed.
Pull 2 pins in a Deutsche connector and swap them over .... and it worked.

Absolutely excellent in practise .... you accelerate at whatever rate you want, when you reach set speed ... It beeps and takes over.
Keeps to within 0.1mph, even in turns.
Great for rider being towed ... pull is so consistent.

There are options to customise the pull in terms of aggressiveness to load, and to loss of load (slack rope)

It makes changes to speed in 10 rpm increments, so smoothness & accuracy is superb.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Return to Boat Projects Forum