• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:40

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Tow Hitches

by Ianfs » 09 Jun 2021, 18:21

Some of you may know but my trailer is quite old but in reasonably good serviceable condition. I've been reluctant to upgrade the coupling and a few other bits because it all works safely and parts are mostly rust free. Also if it was a newer boat I would want a newer trailer.

Trouble is, parts are becoming more difficult to source. However, I wanted to replace the damper in the drawbar, no problem, I've found a replacement, but I had trouble getting the last bolt out, it had welded itself into the insert in the damper. I called a few trailer experts, Indespension included but I suppose naturally they weren't familiar with these older units. These are they...

Damper.jpg
Damper.jpg (4.41 MiB) Viewed 4901 times

Drawtube and damper.jpg
Drawtube and damper.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 4901 times

Years ago there was always an old bloke who knew about older bits and who could advise and talk through what could be done. Maybe I need to stay with the new stuff more. LOL!

However, now that I've taken it all apart, I'm astonished that Damper with only an 8mm rod and thread takes all of the forward motion to pull the trailer......bonkers, but its worked for 33yrs so it cant be all wrong. :?

Edit, I am officially stupid. The large drawtube in the pic has the hitch attached to the right hand end where the holes are, The extension (the oblong bar which takes the damper) slots into the drawtube from right to left though an oblong hole in the left hand side of the drawtube, its end is about 10mm thick very solid, just large enough for it to fit through. The extension piece is then bolted to the trailer drawbar housing and the flang on the extension is what is captured by the draw tube to tow the boat. Doooohhhh!

by shibbs » 12 Jun 2021, 18:33

I’ve got the exact same job to do, damper on my trailer is well past it’s sell by date.
Really do need to get it done, one of those jobs I just keep putting off.

by Cap'n Jack » 15 Jun 2021, 22:29

It turned out to be a very simple job. The most difficult part was getting the right damper, there are loads of them.

What I did find was that I really had to wallop that last bolt out. Luckily the kit I bought had a replacement bolt. I have some Quicksilver Perfect Seal which I use for bits that are exposed to either sea air or salt water. It's not a sealant but more a goowey substance that never washes off even in salt water.

However it is harder to find now and seems horrendously expensive but it lasts forever as you only ever use a tiny bit of it.

The equivalent seems to be, this....

https://pacermarine.co.uk/product/quick ... -compound/

However I've not used it, so I cannot recommend it but there are lots online who say it's good.
Cap'n Jack
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum