• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 01:51
  • In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Gel coat repairs

by shibbs » 26 Apr 2021, 19:26

An attempt at a couple of pictures may follow...
but.. I have noticed a couple of chips in the gel coat over the last year or so and would quite like to get them touched up.
Does anyone have any experience with filling gel coat and colour matching? Any ideas on price for the professionals to come.
They’re quite annoying as they are really small and only 4 or 5, but enough for me to notice.

by ian h » 26 Apr 2021, 20:18

I used an ex Hunton employee to do some gel coat repairs before,

I would ask at the marina who they recommend / people use.

Colour matching is the hardest part
ian h

by Ianfs » 28 Apr 2021, 11:15

I've asked a friend who is an absolutely amazing gel coat repairer about this. Unfortunately he is in the Plymouth area so it would be a long way to come, but as Ianh has already said, he confirmed that colour matching is an absolute pain in the back side.

Not that I like referring to Facebook but here is a link to some of his work and photos, which may help you along the way and to see how it's done. :D

Andy Shepherd Gel Coat Repairs

by shibbs » 28 Apr 2021, 19:15

Thanks Ian,

I just had a look at his page via wife’s FB account.
There is some impressive work on there, especially some of the cut and polish work, what incredible finishes that can be achieved with a bit of know how!!

At present I’m really just after a rough idea on what the costs will be, reason being, the bits that need doing really are that small that if silly money I will simply do myself.

It’s more of a case that I know they are there more than that they are in any way noticeable.

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum