• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:49
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

Ashore

by MartynG » 15 Jan 2020, 18:50

I've been away from this forum a while due to locking myself out and also busy with other things.

My boat is ashore at present and has been out since mid October . Progress with a few jobs has been a bit slow due to weather and old age on my part , not to mention floods .
I thought I would share a few progress pictures ..... cleaning stuff that has lived under water a while is quite hard work

Image
.
Image

Hammerite special metals primer goes on pink but dries more like red oxide . First time I have tried this paint on Aluminium props .
.
Image
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 15 Jan 2020, 19:16

Image
.
Image
.
Image

After much effort wet sanding the old antifoul it was time to apply a primer/barrier coat
.
Image
.
Image
.
Image
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 19 Jan 2020, 11:59

Yesterday was dry and became just warm enough to apply the antifoul
This morning the bathing platform was too icy to risk climbing aboard.

Image
.
Image
.
Image
.
Image
.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by shibbs » 19 Jan 2020, 14:59

Looking very good. Lots of really hard work but I personally find it really quite satisfying looking at the underside and drive legs when they are all painted up and ready to go back in.
Like you said though, it’s the only time you will see it until next time it’s out. :P
Nice work though.
I’ve still got it all to look forward to. This time though I spent a long time scrubbing when I took it out so preparing for painting shouldn’t be too bad.

by MartynG » 21 Jan 2020, 21:24

We don't get much in the way of fouling - just a coating of limescale.
The previous antifouling had been on 5 years and still seemed to be doing a job despite becoming very thin in places . A jet wash on lift out every year or two cleaned it very well .

Yes the cleaning and preparation and painting has been hard work but very satisfying to do it myself. Not to mention saving labour charges .
I hope the new anti-foul coating will prove to be be equally long lasting.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum