  • In total there are 47 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Motor Boat Forum

The rise and fall of the UK boat market

by ian h » 13 Oct 2021, 19:35

Will be very interesting to see what the winter brings and early 2022 regards boat sales.

Speaking to various people they have all said that this year the weather has not been that good on the South Coast, Yes there has been the odd good day but that is about it,

I have been looking at Axopar boats, the prices for secondhand have gone up by £20K plus but the boat is getting older..........................

I would in the car industry and there is a shortage of second hand cars due to lack of new cars coming through caused by the semi conductor shortage,

A friend was offered more for his car than the price of buying new , purely because of very low supply.

I will happily wait and watch the market. not in a rush at present,

Also need to keep eye on berthing costs these also seem to have shot up. I was looking at Trafalgar Wharf and if I still had the Hunton the storage now would be £2000 more than I was paying at Saxon Wharf,
All gone mad
ian h

by Ianfs » 13 Oct 2021, 21:01

I'll jump in and say that the South Coast weather is very changeable quickly, more so than I had ever realised before I lived here. Therefore those of you who are only able to seek a narrow window to boat, I absolutely agree the weather has been doubtful all this year and very unpredictable.

The thing is, now I'm retired and able to get out whenever, the weather windows are variable. I'll try to explain what I see on a daily basis. We are 400yds from the West Solent and overlook the Needles, the boat is in the Beaulieu River which enters the Solent opposite the IOW between Cowes and Newtown Creek.

Here's an example of what I mean. The weather forecast for tomorrow is Sunny/Cloud with winds WSW up to F5 gusts. Reading the Surface Pressure Maps, there is a high pressure directly over Southern England with very wide isobars. The weather today has been calm as has the weather over Europe. This says to me that tomorrow its going to be a cold start getting warmer throughout the day and I very much doubt we will get F5 gusts and if we do, the swells will be slight. Tomorrow will be another good day, come Tuesday on the other hand and if those cold front materialise we will have rain and blustery weather. However once that has lifted the weather will calm itself again.

I therefore absolutely agree that we haven't had long spells of settled weather and chatting to the boat owners at our marina it is only the retired people or big bank balances who are able to get out regularly and enjoy their boats. There are a lot of boats which are in need of a good clean and decent dusting off.

by MartynG » 31 Oct 2021, 14:07

We have had a very good boating year this year (unlike 2020) and have been very lucky with the weather. The few days in July that were hot was amid our two weeks holiday but the weather for the entire fortnight was okay.
We also had a good week in September and the usual weekends when the weather never spoiled our enjoyment.

Boat sales have been swift locally although a couple of boats at very silly asking prices have not sold. The price of diesel and most other things rising may mean folks will hang onto their cash in 2022.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth