  • In total there are 55 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boat Identification

by NickandSal » 23 Jul 2021, 14:16

Hi All.
Just registered and need some info:
I have just bought this boat and have no idea what it is (Dory?)
Does anyone out there know? The plate only reads 7 84 957
Attachments
20210723_142143.jpg
20210723_142143.jpg (1016.78 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
20210723_142125_resized.jpg
20210723_142125_resized.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 10025 times
20210723_142054_resized.jpg
20210723_142054_resized.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 10025 times
20210723_142112_resized.jpg
20210723_142112_resized.jpg (720.28 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05

by Ianfs » 25 Jul 2021, 11:49

Hi NickandSal

In answer to your question, I don't think its a Dory, I've not seen one with a hull like an F1 boat with twin sponson's, but that doesn't mean they didn't build them.

At a guess the numbers might mean that it was built in July 1984 number 957, but its a pure guess and the boat looks newer than 1984.

It is possibly a fast American Bass Boat of some kind. Do you have any more photo's?

by NickandSal » 25 Jul 2021, 20:30

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I assumed it was '84 as well.

I would like to know the maker for info on engine size. I currently have a Mercury 25 bigfoot on it which just about gets 12 mph, and sits heavy on the back. Can I just change the prop to give more speed, or do I need to change engine?

I can take more photos and post them, what do you need to see?

Cheers, Nick
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05

by Ianfs » 02 Aug 2021, 10:41

Hi Nick

Sorry for such as late reply but I've been working on my boat and only just got things finished.

If you take some photos further out and from different angles showing the whole boat that would be good.

Without seeing how big the boat is it's pure guesswork but she looks about 16-18', she's not on a braked trailer so total load including trailer under 750kgs, therefore I would say a 25hp would push her along quite well, maybe get her on the plane, but not racing speeds and certainly a larger engine would be be better maybe a 50 or 60hp or even a standard Mercury 25, I'll explain later. :) Where to start........

If you can, let us know what your current prop size is?

First of all have you tried to trim her to get on the plane? One of the reasons boats sit low in the water at the stern is motor trim and trying to get over the hump, i.e. the bow wave. Does the motor have power trim, if so, trim the motor in and see if that helps? If it does, once on the plane, speed will increase so you can trim out again. If you dont have power trim, bring it in manually to the next slot.

If you have 2 people in the boat, sit one at the bow and open her up quickly to see if you can get over the hump. If you still can't get her on the plane, you either have power issues or as you've already mentioned, prop size too big.

Now to the prop. Mercury Big Foot engines are actually designed to spin the props slower but with a larger prop than the standard Mercury engines, because the gear ratio is lower. So without seeing her in action, again this is guesswork.
Boat propellers are measured once you can count revs at full throttle (WOT, Wide Open Throttle). If an engine inboard or outboard has WOT at say usually 4,400-5,000 for inboard and 5,500-5,700 for an outboard (outboards tend to run higher revs). Lets talk outboards though, if you are only getting say 4,800 on your outboard then your prop is too big. If on the other hand your engine revs quickly and reaches WOT early and reaching 6,000 rpm, but the boat is going nowhere, the prop is under sized.

I hope this helps a little to start with. :D

by NickandSal » 02 Aug 2021, 14:45

Hi Ianfs
No problem with the late reply, I appreciate your time. :D

She is 4.2m, and the prop size is 11 5/8 x 11. pic
The engine has PTT, it definitely works best at full down, with my better half at the front, but the water nearly reaches the cover.
The motor had fuel issues, but that turned out to be a kink in the feed pipe inside the fuel tank.
I do not have a rev counter, so it is difficult to tell if it is reaching full revs. At WOT there is no more movement on the carb linkage and it seems to run ok.

Can you recommend a value rev counter that is easy to fit. I am not a complete numpty but don't have much experience on the electrics side.

I tried to upload a video but it was too big. I will try and get a snapshot so you can see her at WOT in the water. Gif added

Thanks again, Nick
Attachments
mm (1).gif
mm (1).gif (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9879 times
20210802_143732_resized.jpg
20210802_143732_resized.jpg (946.22 KiB) Viewed 9888 times
20210802_143744_resized.jpg
20210802_143744_resized.jpg (742.3 KiB) Viewed 9888 times
20210802_143759_resized.jpg
20210802_143759_resized.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9888 times
20210802_143811_resized.jpg
20210802_143811_resized.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 9888 times
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05

by Ianfs » 02 Aug 2021, 18:47

Thanks for the photos Nick, I'm still puzzled by the manufacturer, but it gives a better idea of its size and weight.

Uploading video's on this software has to be through external hosting, e.g. youtube, vimeo etc. The links can embed the video in your post for you...... but if you use them you dont have to use all the code from the share sample....for example...in this copy of Tom Cunliffe, Boatyard, only use the letters and numbers after .be/ in between the [you tube] links [youtube] [/youtube]
the shared digits, but condense them from.....
https://youtu.be/oTWvZJ8FLvc
to......this ......... oTWvZJ8FLvc ....... in between [youtube] [/youtube]

This what you get............

It's not as simple as Facebook but once done its fairly easy.

Regarding recommendations for a value rev counter, I would get onto Amazon and buy a cheapy from there, I'm like you though, I can do most things mechanical but electrical takes a little longer. Lucky we have Youtube though, there is always something on there to help.

I think the prop may be OK but props are a black art , does the engine sound as if she is reaching full revs, if not you may need to go down a size. Engines can be expensive as you may be aware and so are propellers but a fraction of the cost of an engine.

If you can upload that video it might give us a better Idea of what is going on.

by NickandSal » 02 Aug 2021, 21:08

I'll have a play with the video and see what happens , lol

I will do a bit of searching for a rev counter, and wire it in with crossed fingers. :)

The boat has a flat deck, so I presume there is buoyancy either side of the hulls, I'm wondering if she is waterlogged, making her heavy. Just behind the rear seat there is a mini bulkhead so the hull is sealed, I was wondering whether to drill and put a couple of drain plugs in. There is a couple of 'dinks' along the bottom that may be letting water in, which I will address over the winter. I don't really want to go down the Dory route of ripping out the floor.

Anyway, thanks again for your time, and I will post again when I have tinkered.....

Cheers, Nick
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05

by Ianfs » 03 Aug 2021, 18:57

This might be stating the obvious and you may have already done this, but have you undone the plugs I've highlighted......These are almost certainly drain plugs for the hulls and I doubt the bulkhead you mentioned would completely seal the hulls without a drain hole cut in. Tip the boat up and see if any water comes out.
Dory.jpg
Dory.jpg (376.39 KiB) Viewed 9827 times

by NickandSal » 03 Aug 2021, 20:51

Hi Ianfs
They come out after every trip. :)

The deck is a sealed unit (or 2) like a Dory, as far as I can gather. It finishes and seals to the hull just behind the rear seat. Water from the deck surface runs through 2 drain holes into the space in front of those 2 drain plugs under the splash well. I will take a few more pics and post.

Intriguing isn't it .....

I have bought 2 new drain plugs and will attack it at the weekend !
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05

by NickandSal » 03 Aug 2021, 20:52

I sent you a pm. Did the link work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFUgA0DhBUQ

Try now ......
Last edited by NickandSal on 03 Aug 2021, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.
NickandSal
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jul 2021, 14:05