• Boat Banter

It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:24
  • In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Motor Boat Forum

SBS Trailer Service

by argonaut » 13 Mar 2021, 11:24

New boat and trailer halfway through last season, so with only 20Hrs use expected the brake service to go easy, I was wrong.

The trailer is an SBS 2600 EL and been happy with the way it performs, recovers well, and tows a treat, some nice touches such as built-in wiring to the lights, hub-flush, nylon mudguards (better than Galv that rust & split easily) and chassis is one piece - all welded together prior to Galvanising.

Time for maintenance
First off could I not get the dust caps off the hubs, they do not come off easily or without damage .. a rubber mallet, pipe grips etc.
There is a special tool - but it costs £45
So had a copy of the removal tool made up in a lathe :

Tool.jpg
Tool.jpg (931.97 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Works a treat removes and refits with zero damage.

The flange nuts were really tight .... I needed to use a 1m long torque bar to beak the seating and then removed them with a pneumatic air driver.

Now the unwelcome part ... You can see the corrosion of the brakes after a few months use, and also worrying was the rust on the swing-arms.

Drum removed.jpg
Drum removed.jpg (809.96 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Stripped all parts out, degreased fully, then De-Salted with CHLOR-X, rinsed off. Cleaned inside drums with WURTH drum cleaner
The stub axle, main cross axle swing arms had significant rust on them …after only ½ a season …. It is absurd that Alko produces galvanized cross-beams & back plate, but the swing-arms are just pained with a thin matt black paint, the stub axle inside the drum is not painted at all ……. Both corroded significantly.
Also the brake shoes are only electro-plated not galvanized .. so they rust after the first dip in the sea.
Treated all rust with KuRust Rust converter.

Cleaned.jpg
Cleaned.jpg (776.11 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Painted swing arms, drum, shoes and stub axle …… using Rust Buster EWM21 2-part epoxy paint … this stuff is 100% salt waterproof, and hard as nails.
https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/em-1 ... is-paint-7

I reassembled the brakes, and it's worth saying that AlKO excels at making it difficult to refit the shoe spring retaining clip ….. one side is easy, the other is between the swing-arm and back-plate , with less than ½” gap …. You can’t get a finger in there, let alone with a clip….. poor design.
I ended up compressing the spring with a clamp and lowering in the retaining clip with a telescopic magnet. It should not be this difficult.

painted.jpg
painted.jpg (695.57 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Before fitting the drums, I sprayed the backplate, springs, adjusters with Lanoguard marine & chassis liquid …. and coated adjuster mechanism in Lanoguard Marine grease.
Also sprayed the liquid on the rear of the back-plates.
This marine spray product sprays on easily then set like a wax coating, a bit like Waxoyl if you are familiar with that ...... but much superior performance
https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/
I had masking tape on the contact face of the shoes, and also did not spray on the inside of drums.

lanoguard.jpg
lanoguard.jpg (818.72 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Putting the drum back on with new flange nuts is a new experience, always had taper roller bearings previously you install with end float and a split pin. These 'Euro hubs' use ‘sealed for life bearings and these are fitted with a one-time use flange nut, which you have to discard each time you remove, and they need to be torqued to 290 Nm, this was outside the range of my torque wrench …. Luckily picked up a big beast of a torque wrench off Market Place.
To reach 290Nm still need a long piece of tube over the torque wrench handle ….. it’s a lot of torque for sure.

Not sure I like the idea of no seals on the bearings …. I know they are classed as ‘sealed for life’ but that may work on a caravan, but being fully immersed in Saltwater each time I go out ….. can’t see them lasting too well. On another forum guys are talking on replacing after 18 months .... my Taper roller bearing were still good after 5 years - just replaced seals annually. On the Taper Roller bearings, I used to fit Bearing Buddies which kept a positive pressure on the grease. Did keep bearings good, but due to seal leakage, the backplates were really messy when it came to annual service.

drum back on.jpg
drum back on.jpg (766.29 KiB) Viewed 12769 times

Job done for this year ... Lanoguard suggests spraying the whole of the trailer ... not sure if I will do that yet, but will apply oil to all moving bits and all the nuts & U bolts.
Last edited by argonaut on 17 Mar 2021, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by wrinklywideboy » 14 Mar 2021, 10:12

How disappointing ! I would have thought the trailer manufacturers knowing they are building a trailer for a boat would make it fit for purpose. How much extra money would it take to make the necessary modifications in the manufacturing process. I’m at that certain age that this sort of stuff makes me quite angry. You are very lucky to have the ability to rectify these failings of the manufacturer! I would at least send them a letter of complaint and encourage them to consult the end users like yourself to produce a quality product ! Well done you for doing a great job and knowing the right products to use.
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by argonaut » 14 Mar 2021, 10:22

The use of poorly painted mild steel swing arms, cheap electroplated brake shoes & retaining springs is probably fine on a caravan or horse trailer.
It isn’t fit for purpose on a boat trailer.

I did put a mail with photos into AlKo ....but not only did I get no reply, I don’t expect 1 letter is going to make any difference.

Unless a competitor comes out with a better Product, with a potential to lose them sales, they have no business driver to make one.
Last edited by argonaut on 14 Mar 2021, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by wrinklywideboy » 14 Mar 2021, 12:08

Sadly that is very true, in business I thought customer satisfaction was paramount, it is sad that you have not had a response to your letter. I would tackle one of their stockists with your findings, and through them contact the sales team and the R & D department, but being retired I have time on my hands.
The very best of luck.
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by argonaut » 14 Mar 2021, 12:54

The problem is that I am not a customer of AlKo.
They are a parts manufacture and sell to trailer manufacturers.

On a previous boat I had a Hallmark trailer, again using AlKo axles, I had an issue with brakes .... dealer said it had no idea how to help, and was OK when manufactured ... only interested in selling complete new Axle.
I should contact AlKo .... I did, only reply I got was that I need to deal with whoever I bought trailer from.

AlKo are simply not interested in retail support.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by wrinklywideboy » 14 Mar 2021, 16:44

At the very least, your post will help so many potential buyers / owners to check their trailers and how, and what to use to remedy the problem. Nevertheless I would keep all the evidence, because you never know when the opportunity may arise, they may exhibit at a Boat / Trade show. Nothing wipes the smile off a Sales Director’s face when a customer has proof that their products are substandard especially in front of an enthusiastic young sales force !!! Wouldn’t that make you feel good. Hold that thought !
Best of luck
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by argonaut » 14 Mar 2021, 17:16

Fair comments.

The problem though is you only see Trailer manufacturers not ALKo.
I have spoken to Indespension & SBS ... both respond that they it’s AlKo that needs to change ... though both could push back on AlKo to get them to improve.
There is a very good trailer by VonClaes,
All stainless steel and and be provided with disc brakes .... but about 30% higher price.

They even offer a clear nano-tech polymer coating on the trailer

https://vanclaes.com/en/stainless-steel ... a-123.html
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 14 Mar 2021, 19:43

argonaut wrote:Fair comments.

The problem though is you only see Trailer manufacturers not ALKo.
I have spoken to Indespension & SBS ... both respond that they it’s AlKo that needs to change ... though both could push back on AlKo to get them to improve.
There is a very good trailer by VonClaes,
All stainless steel and and be provided with disc brakes .... but about 30% higher price.

They even offer a clear nano-tech polymer coating on the trailer

https://vanclaes.com/en/stainless-steel ... a-123.html

Those trailers do look the business though and interestingly they also do a 5th wheel trailer,
ian h

by argonaut » 27 Mar 2021, 09:18

2nd part today ....good weather forecast, so taking trailer out from under the boat, leaving boat in its boat shed.
No mooring to put it on temporarily - and it’s still winterised anyway.

Going to pressure wash down trailer, De-Salt with Chlor-X, rinse , then once dry spray all the appropriate parts with Lanoguard.
Then put it back under the boat.

Season coming soon.

(Edit) all of the above done, be good to see how it pans out
Taking trailer out from under boat needed a little thought, but all of the above completed in under 5 Hrs ...including taking advantage of no trailer to wax the hull, took minutes, rather than usual significant task.