• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:58
  • In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Motor Boat Forum

It’s over

by argonaut » 12 Dec 2020, 18:50

Final steps for the year
Run through 2-stroke mix to oil all fuel system & bores
Removed serpentine belt
Removed raw water pump impeller
Washed sea-deck
Wedged up all seats.( For air flow) and engine hatch.
Installed dehumidifier drain through transom bung
Installed dehumidifier
Removed battery
Poilshed prop and bagged to prevent any insects infiltration
Covers on
Jacked up trailer onto axle stands (wheels just clear of floor.)
Lights out ...bye bye

FFB0EA9C-02D1-4AF3-A00A-FB9854F88F4B.jpeg
FFB0EA9C-02D1-4AF3-A00A-FB9854F88F4B.jpeg (240.59 KiB) Viewed 19057 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 14 Dec 2020, 11:09

Did you manage to get it out much this year at all?

by argonaut » 14 Dec 2020, 11:59

I got out on it 15 times ..... which is not bad considering lockdown prevented this until 1st of May
Total run time this year was 20.5 Hrs

Just been in for 3 weeks in Volvo dealers - My stainless steel duoprop has a rust 'bubble', (see pic) and I was unhappy that Props were not operating in the centre of WOT band, after testing they agreed and swapped the props to next pitch down .... so will also see much more acceleration - and it had impressive holeshot already.

VP initially advised my boat wasn't registered in the UK ! .... had never been through the PDI process, in fact, it had by Golden Arrow in Poole ..... but it seems they did not record anything on the VP system. So my motor caused a few questions.

VP agreed to warranty on props and also asked could they carry out another full PDI as they are unsure that all had been done as it should.
So it had a full PDI after 1st year ..... slightly unusual.

The VP dealer I am using 'locally' - Team Marine in Cardiff have been very good.

current state.jpg
current state.jpg (311 KiB) Viewed 19026 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 15 Dec 2020, 08:23

That’s a decent amount of use as you say, considering the year we have all had!
Glad all the niggles have been sorted successfully, strange to see a rust spot like that, any idea what will cause that?

by argonaut » 15 Dec 2020, 10:28

It appeared on 1st run out .... I polished it off and it was pitted underneath.
It is a casting defect, must assume the factory polishing filled in hole and was not noticed.

I wanted local VP dealer to get in replacements in advance ... that was when all issue over not being registered came to light.
I carried on using ... would polish off the rust, but it rusted again as soon as it touched salt water.

£1400 a set of props .... so glad it was warranty.

Have been impressed with VP .... 4.3L V6. And puts out 280hp, until recently you would have to go to 5.7L V8
It I also closed cooling and aluminium, so packing a lot of power for little weight.

The hull performs very well, planes at very low speed, the large after pod design does that .... makes the actual running surface (drag) much shorter than the overall length.

For me my previous boat same length & beam and almost identical weight, had 200hp ....and Aplha 1 drive ...... the jump to 280, lighter weight and twin props has been a very significant change in performance.
Also cheaper to run, significantly so.

For decades Mercruiser have had heavy cast iron block, and pushed very little power from it .... I know that gives long life .... but cars had moved technology on dramatically.
The cast iron blocks were dropped by Chevvy, so VP moved to a proven automobile aluminium block, and put closed cooling as standard.

You can also run it from IPad Apps and see all management information in real time - quite neat.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 15 Dec 2020, 12:01

We only managed about half a dozen trips out this year, the marina closed for a long time twice. The last time they wouldn't allow us to even winterise, only allowing engineers in but I managed to make the engine safe from ice damage. I'm not keen on keeping the boat at the marina in the Winter its so damp, but it frees up the drive.

VP initially advised my boat wasn't registered in the UK ! .... had never been through the PDI process, in fact, it had by Golden Arrow in Poole ..... but it seems they did not record anything on the VP system. So my motor caused a few questions.

A bit lazy of them, suspect they were the ones who quibbled over delivery.

strange to see a rust spot like that, any idea what will cause that?

I agree, very odd. So Argonaut, you think it was the casting eh? I have a question, I've always thought that high end Stainless i.e. 316, 304, whatever you want to call it is what I've known as "self healing" where any steel dissipates and the chrome within heals the wound. Sounds a bit like the new type of terminator eh?

Really pleased for you that VP came through and you have a decent dealer on hand.

by argonaut » 15 Dec 2020, 16:38

I spoke to guys in Engineering they advised, likely a piece of casting slag has got into the mould .... should have been picked up during polishing or inspection ... or again at PDI.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Doc Oakley » 16 Dec 2020, 06:35

Boating in mid-Wales as we do, we had seemingly extra restrictions. Managed about 5 hours in the inflatable in July and just 40 minutes in the Bonwitco in September - not even enough to really road test the Raymarine plotter/sounder I'd fitted - on what looked to be a great day in September, an Easterly F6 blew up from nowhere and after 40 mins of getting thoroughly soaked, we called it quits. The boatyard we use was closed for the most part.

Hoping 2021 will be different, but right now I'm not seeing it...

Hope everyone has a decent Xmas.
Bonwitco 385/Evinrude E-Tec 25; Wetline 265/Honda 5
Doc Oakley
Able Rate
Able Rate

Location: North Worcestershire

by argonaut » 16 Dec 2020, 12:13

Come down to S. Wales .... you know it will be good for you :-)
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Doc Oakley » 16 Dec 2020, 12:18

I am looking at buying a boat from a dealer down there!