It is currently 22 Oct 2021, 02:22

Charts & Chart Symbols

Paper charts....

by Ianfs » 19 Aug 2021, 14:33

I must admit for short trips and I tend not to check them out however for long trips and especially when sailing and anchoring I always use them.

Does anyone study paper charts anymore?

Or do you rely on your skills and knowledge of the water you boat in and use Electronics to back up your expertise?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ian h » 23 Aug 2021, 20:05

Have to confess that have not used paper charts for very many years.

used to use Plotter for the general area then when going slow would use depth sounder in conjunction with Plotter,

Did not venture further than Brighton to the East and Lulworth Cove to the West and around Island,
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 25 Aug 2021, 20:13

So basically you used your expertise for navigating your boating area and then electronics as a back up to make sure you were safe. Good scheme. :D
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 29 Aug 2021, 11:43

I always have a paper chart on the dash board onboard, have a folio of the whole area in the cabin also.
I do have a chart plotter but generally I will refer to paper charts if planning.
I think if I had a more up to date plotter it would be different but paper tell me all I need to know. Nice and simple to plan a route on.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by ian h » 29 Aug 2021, 21:35

Ianfs wrote:So basically you used your expertise for navigating your boating area and then electronics as a back up to make sure you were safe. Good scheme. :D

Also used the shipping channel if in there was sure would not run aground :D

I.E did not cut across the Bramble bank. could easily have got away with it at high tide. but just followed channel. not much slower getting to Cowes
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 09 Sep 2021, 18:24

did not cut across the Bramble bank. could easily have got away with it at high tide. but just followed channel. not much slower getting to Cowes

You have more experience than most in the Solent. :D So you know where to steer clear.

Any water around here, (West Solent, Solent, East Solent) I'm pretty much OK with, BUT, I have to confess its only because I've consulted the charts on previous occasions.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to Charts & Chart Symbols