• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:21
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Power loss - Evinrude V61 150HP Ocean Pro

by babel1971 » 20 Jun 2021, 10:46

Hello everyone. Can’t seem to find a definite answer or even a capable engineer to take a look at this problem in my area so I turn to you guys. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Engine: Evinrude V61 150HP Ocean Pro, year of manufacturing 1996

The boat was not used and stayed in water from fall till spring. When I started the engine after winter it turns out it can operate on low/medium RPM just fine, but while planing for about 10-15 seconds the engine starts losing its power and eventually stops altogether. After restarting the engine the situation repeats to the letter. The dials don’t show any errors before, during, or after operating the engine.
Thanks in advance for any help. Best regards!
babel1971
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 20 Jun 2021, 14:26

Hi babel
Welcome
I'm guessing you are from the US?

What you have described is a typical 2 stroke fuel problem, not enough fuel and too much air.
Sadly although I think this "one" thing is your problem, there are a number of reasons for it happening. However if you are getting some power, it sounds like either filter or carb clean.
However, first, check your fuel lines for leakage just in case, also if you have a tank with a vent screw is it open or even your fuel tank vent may a slight blockage? Then look at your fuel filters you'll have to change the one on the engine, it should be just after the fuel line enters the engine housing.
If all this doesn't work then you will have to strip the carburetors and clean them out. Kits are available and this should solve your problem.

Of course there is always a small chance that it could be more major but it is very common with 2 strokes, whether they are Garden Tools or Outboards.

I hope this helps.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 20 Jun 2021, 20:41

I agree with Ian.
I immediately thought that the carb may very well need a strip and clean. Well worth checking the easy things first though.
Maybe try running from a separate tank to eliminate that.
Would imagine though if it’s been sat it will be blockage in the carb..
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by babel1971 » 21 Jun 2021, 15:57

Ianfs wrote:I'm guessing you are from the US?

Actually, I'm from Poland, but "fall" could've made you think that I guess? :D

Thank You very much guys. That's a lot of insight! Will look at everything you've suggested and hopefully come to a conclusion.
What I wonder is, if it really is a problem with clogged carb or even two, wouldn't the engine be still capable of giving enough oomph to keep it revving at least to some degree on the remaining 4? I imagine it shouldn't shutdown altogether... :? In any case, I'll do what you've suggested, starting from the easier steps before taking the carbs apart for cleaning

Hope you guys have a great day!
babel1971
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 21 Jun 2021, 17:13

Witaj mój przyjacielu :D

I don't speak Polish it's a Google translation so it might not be correct. :lol:

What I wonder is, if it really is a problem with clogged carb or even two, wouldn't the engine be still capable of giving enough oomph to keep it revving at least to some degree on the remaining 4? I imagine it shouldn't shutdown altogether...

Yes exactly, which is why I think it may be air in the fuel line, a bad filter or your vent pipe on the fuel tank is blocked. I think you have a single fuel pump and I'm sure its dying because it has used all the fuel in the carb float chambers and its not able to suck any more up so it dies until it replenishes. Fuel pumps are cheap enough on the internet so may be worth looking at that too before you start stripping carbs.

Best of luck.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by babel1971 » 22 Jun 2021, 19:50

Ianfs wrote:Witaj mój przyjacielu :D

I don't speak Polish it's a Google translation so it might not be correct. :lol:

It is very correct indeed :D Witaj!

Ianfs wrote:Yes exactly, which is why I think it may be air in the fuel line, a bad filter or your vent pipe on the fuel tank is blocked. I think you have a single fuel pump and I'm sure its dying because it has used all the fuel in the carb float chambers and its not able to suck any more up so it dies until it replenishes.

Definitely will start with that. Thanks again, will update when I actually get to check it.
babel1971
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 22 Jun 2021, 22:18

Look forward to hearing the result. :D
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

User Menu