It is currently 31 Jul 2021, 15:31

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Mercruiser 4.3L Engine mounts

by Ianfs » 19 Jun 2021, 11:49

I bought my boat back from the boatyard last week to give it a good service and clean up from Winter rubbish and discovered the engine mounts had finally given up. My goodness me what, a palaver in establishing which type it should have and then lack or supplies. In the end, instead (rightly or wrongly) I bought 2 mounts from

AV Engine Mounts

They are supposed to be Marine Mounts but it never ceases to amaze me that anything with a marine title is only protected by a Zinc coating. Don't get me wrong, they are very well made and you can get them with different strengths. So I coated them with an Epoxy paint and sprayed them black to match the engine.

I've already been round all the bolts to see if the move and luckily so far I'm managed to get them all to move.

I'll let you know how I get on changing them.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 19 Jun 2021, 15:51

Is it a big job to change? Can the engine stay in place?
Does the engine have to be realigned aftwards?

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 19 Jun 2021, 16:21

shibbs wrote:Is it a big job to change? Can the engine stay in place?
Does the engine have to be realigned aftwards?

So far its not too big. The original 1/2" adjustment bolts look as if they are welded to the mount bracket, so I'll have to cut them off, but the bracket has 3 bolts to connect it to the engine. So far all the bolts have moved when turned and only one was corroded down from 9/16" (14.2mm) to a tad over 13mm so a 6 sided socket lightly tapped on worked.

General opinion is that the engine can stay in place which at the moment I cannot see a problem with as long as each one is done individually. Some say the engine can be chocked by a jack under the exhaust manifolds other suggest something across the gunwales and attached to the eye on the water distribution pump (NOT to be used to lift the engine, only to hold it for alignment)

The Stern drive will have to be removed otherwise if the engine drops a fraction it could damage the gimbal housing or gimbal bearing or something else. Plus it will definitely have to be re - aligned but I'm hoping I can match the old heights with the new mounts somehow. I had an alignment tool made a few years ago by a local engineering firm.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 19 Jun 2021, 19:06

If your working on it this week let me know if you need a hand.. I’m not at work and would find it interesting to see how it’s done..? :geek:

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 20 Jun 2021, 10:09

Thanks Stu. According to the Met Office forecast for Christchurch Bay, I may not get around to it before Wednesday.

I would be happy for you to pop over but doubt 2 of us will fit in the small space to get at the parts, so there will be a lot of standing around drinking tea. :lol: Plus there may be some swearing too!! :mrgreen: :roll:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair