• Boat Banter

    The Best British Boat Forum
It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:59

Motor Boat Forum

solent next weekend

by betty boop » 29 Sep 2018, 18:01

I think Nick T may have forgotten to post but hopefully we are out in numbers at Mercury next weekend 4th/5th? Oct. Im down Friday night to freeze assuming the wind holds off. Worst case it will be a walk to the mercury bar to keep warm or a drive to Spoons and/or Dominos in Fareham (as done before ;) )
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 25 Nov 2014, 10:15

by ChrisH » 29 Sep 2018, 18:06

Not around next weekend I'm afraid. It was beautiful out today. So hope you get the same weather.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by ian h » 29 Sep 2018, 19:55

Was hoping to get out Sunday BUT seeing the traffic reports have decided not to come down as Southampton appears a bit busy :D
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 26 Nov 2014, 22:25

by ChrisH » 29 Sep 2018, 20:12

ian h wrote:Was hoping to get out Sunday BUT seeing the traffic reports have decided not to come down as Southampton appears a bit busy :D
What a going on? Was ok today. Although did not go into town

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by ian h » 30 Sep 2018, 16:12

ChrisH wrote:
ian h wrote:Was hoping to get out Sunday BUT seeing the traffic reports have decided not to come down as Southampton appears a bit busy :D
What a going on? Was ok today. Although did not go into town

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk



M27 was shut all weekend :D
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 26 Nov 2014, 22:25

by ChrisH » 30 Sep 2018, 19:09

ian h wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
ian h wrote:Was hoping to get out Sunday BUT seeing the traffic reports have decided not to come down as Southampton appears a bit busy :D
What a going on? Was ok today. Although did not go into town

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk



M27 was shut all weekend :D
I come off the 1st exit on m27 so guess missed it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by Ianfs » 01 Oct 2018, 09:55

M27 was shut all weekend


It was shut going West towards Bournemouth and the West Country from Junction 4 (which is actually the bit where the M3 joins the M27) to Junction 3 at the M271. So going East to Southampton it was open.
I spoke to the highways Agency this morning to get the whole lowdown. There is a bridge on the A3027 near the Rownhams Services going West from the M3, which is the main road joining Romsey and towns North of the M27 to Southampton. It is a concrete bridge built in the 1970's, they say its bearings are failing and the bridge can no longer move, therefore cracks have appeared in some of the pre stressed concrete at the ends. The closure was to start taking one side of the bridge down and as it is West of the M3 the only effect would have been drivers who weren't aware of the closure piling on to the East bound carriageways.

Even though we don't go into Southampton that way, we tend to cut off at Lyndhurst and over the Totton bridge, we decided not to go shopping in case the traffic was bad. Turns out apparently all was ok.

I come off the 1st exit on m27 so guess missed it


Do you mean the 1st exit coming off the M3 Chris, onto the M27 going East towards Southampton?

As a tip, if we are going back to visit friends in East Grinstead or family in Marlow as well as coming back, we often use the A3/A3M. It's a bit of a pain through Guildford but apart from that we usually sail through. The M3 at Winchester is always a pain and when the Motorway is a little congested there are annoying drivers who hog the middle lane doing 50-60mph. And then there are the idiots who join the Motorway who haven't read the Highway Code and couldn't possibly have passed there tests because they seem to think the traffic on the Motorway must adjust its speed for them!!! :o

From Reading or Basingstoke it is more difficult to get onto the A3 but you can cut down through Camberley and Frimley and once at Portsmouth on the A27 its fairly easy to get to The Hamble.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: 24 Nov 2014, 18:40
Location: Hampshire, by the Sea

by ChrisH » 04 Oct 2018, 17:48

Ianfs wrote:
M27 was shut all weekend


It was shut going West towards Bournemouth and the West Country from Junction 4 (which is actually the bit where the M3 joins the M27) to Junction 3 at the M271. So going East to Southampton it was open.
I spoke to the highways Agency this morning to get the whole lowdown. There is a bridge on the A3027 near the Rownhams Services going West from the M3, which is the main road joining Romsey and towns North of the M27 to Southampton. It is a concrete bridge built in the 1970's, they say its bearings are failing and the bridge can no longer move, therefore cracks have appeared in some of the pre stressed concrete at the ends. The closure was to start taking one side of the bridge down and as it is West of the M3 the only effect would have been drivers who weren't aware of the closure piling on to the East bound carriageways.

Even though we don't go into Southampton that way, we tend to cut off at Lyndhurst and over the Totton bridge, we decided not to go shopping in case the traffic was bad. Turns out apparently all was ok.

I come off the 1st exit on m27 so guess missed it


Do you mean the 1st exit coming off the M3 Chris, onto the M27 going East towards Southampton?

As a tip, if we are going back to visit friends in East Grinstead or family in Marlow as well as coming back, we often use the A3/A3M. It's a bit of a pain through Guildford but apart from that we usually sail through. The M3 at Winchester is always a pain and when the Motorway is a little congested there are annoying drivers who hog the middle lane doing 50-60mph. And then there are the idiots who join the Motorway who haven't read the Highway Code and couldn't possibly have passed there tests because they seem to think the traffic on the Motorway must adjust its speed for them!!! :o

From Reading or Basingstoke it is more difficult to get onto the A3 but you can cut down through Camberley and Frimley and once at Portsmouth on the A27 its fairly easy to get to The Hamble.
Thanks Ian. Some good tips.
TBH I usually turn on Waze or google maps and go the route it tells me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by shibbs » 07 Oct 2018, 18:43

Anyone else get out and make the most of a fantastic day of weather today? Yesterday was a complete opposite but cracking today - and a smooth sea!

We went out for only a few hours but very enjoyable. Saw the US carrier, a bit of fishing and a general wiz about.

A very nice day for October! 8-)
Stu

Draco 2500 Crystal - Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha one - Chin Chin
User avatar
shibbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 709
Joined: 25 Nov 2014, 20:28
Location: Hampshire

by ChrisH » 08 Oct 2018, 18:24

shibbs wrote:Anyone else get out and make the most of a fantastic day of weather today? Yesterday was a complete opposite but cracking today - and a smooth sea!

We went out for only a few hours but very enjoyable. Saw the US carrier, a bit of fishing and a general wiz about.

A very nice day for October! 8-)
Unfortunately not

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13


Return to Motor Boat Forum

cron

User Menu