Motor Boat Forum

Glastron

by argonaut » 13 Jul 2018, 08:22

Problem for me is I want to change ... options are limited.

Bringing in a new Monterey is not an option ... the 25% tariff on US goods is now going to kill US boat imports .......
Boat dealer will ... change US $ sign to £ add 20% VAT and 25% duty .....

I have been looking for a boat for a while - GIBBS do not even respond.

Had I thought a nice option on a Chaparral 216 SSI but on a trailer that is 98" high to top of windscreen ..... 18" higher than entrance to my boat shed .......!!!
Chaparral have a high freeboard, but must also be trailer it is on.

Also was negotiating on a Regal 2000 esx .... dealer went unresponsive for 48 Hrs .. then advised sold.
Seen a new Regal 2000 esx, problem is dealer wants full list price for boat and offering very poor trade-in value on mine ..... he cites import tariff makes this stock boat desirable (as no new ones coming in) ... which means used prices should be better - but rejects that point saying used prices are lower.

I know a private sale is better - but then can end up with months without a boat ... and season is too short for that.

As an FYI boats I would consider are (ignoring crazily priced tournament boats - Mastercraft/Malibu/Tige/Axis etc.)
Cobalt - SeaRay - Crownline - Chaparral - Monterey - Regal - Larson
Monterey 194fs with Monster MTK tower + water and SkySki = fun ...... towed by Kodiaq Edition
User avatar
argonaut
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Xboatboyx » 13 Jul 2018, 08:44

It does amaze me that these high end dealers cannot be bothered to help or respond to customers. Its no wonder they go bust and I see Gibbs have changed their name again :roll:

I think most dealers offer a low trade value as they just can't risk having the boat sit around for months. Might be worth asking Idealboats as they seem to get a lot of stock through so people must trading in boats to buy the big chapparals?

If buying from a dealer doesn't work then maybe its worth wandering round marinas seeing if anyone wants to sell direct to you? Although this still leaves you with the Monterey to sell on.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by mlines » 13 Jul 2018, 08:56

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Xboatboyx » 13 Jul 2018, 09:01

Driver looks dodgy :)
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by argonaut » 13 Jul 2018, 12:31

Xboatboyx wrote:It does amaze me that these high end dealers cannot be bothered to help or respond to customers. Its no wonder they go bust and I see Gibbs have changed their name again :roll:

I think most dealers offer a low trade value as they just can't risk having the boat sit around for months. Might be worth asking Idealboats as they seem to get a lot of stock through so people must trading in boats to buy the big chapparals?

If buying from a dealer doesn't work then maybe its worth wandering round marinas seeing if anyone wants to sell direct to you? Although this still leaves you with the Monterey to sell on.

I had been talking to Ideal Boats ... though the rate Chaparral dealers go bust in Pwhelli is worrying ... yet same sales guy arrives in each new company.
The 216 ssi was nice - ticked the boxes ... but just too high .. won't fit in boat shed.
Monterey 194fs with Monster MTK tower + water and SkySki = fun ...... towed by Kodiaq Edition
User avatar
argonaut
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer