Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by ChrisH » 15 Apr 2018, 17:47

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Views please on buying a boat without proof of vat paid?

Never saw it as an issue before but Richard from Southampton Waters for example will not sell a boat without it.?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Bigplumbs » 16 Apr 2018, 05:40

ChrisH wrote:Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Views please on buying a boat without proof of vat paid?

Never saw it as an issue before but Richard from Southampton Waters for example will not sell a boat without it.?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well on all my second hand boats I have just bought them like any other item. No mention of VAT at all as they are second hand. Not sure if I have done right but thst is what I did

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 16 Apr 2018, 05:41

ChrisH wrote:Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Views please on buying a boat without proof of vat paid?

Never saw it as an issue before but Richard from Southampton Waters for example will not sell a boat without it.?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well on all my second hand boats I have just bought them like any other item. No mention of VAT at all as they are second hand. Not sure if I have done right but that is what I did

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by MartynG » 17 Apr 2018, 21:23

Without the original bill of sale and proof of VAT paid at the time the boat was new there is a potential issue if you take the boat abroad you may be required to pay VAT.
If bought and kept in the UK it is thought to be not a real problem .

However as said some brokers will not sell a boat without the required paperwork in place . Others will do so while stating no proof of vat in the advert which may effectively de-value the boat. If you think about it unless you are given the original receipts and documents and evidence of subsequent sales how do you know you are legitimately buying from the true owner of the boat.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: Farndon

by ChrisH » 18 Apr 2018, 13:07

Offer on the Draco was rejected, and in fact someone else made an offer too rich for me.

Have now made an offer which is accepted on a Sealine 240 . Would prefer a diesel, but given my offer was low, I'm ok with that. She needs some tarting up. Will be needing reupholstering through out soon, cut and polish, and maybe some crazing sorting out. Looks like she has knocked the dock a few times too many.
But given what I want to pay I will not get a mint boat.
Last edited by ChrisH on 19 Apr 2018, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 18 Apr 2018, 18:11

MartynG wrote:Without the original bill of sale and proof of VAT paid at the time the boat was new there is a potential issue if you take the boat abroad you may be required to pay VAT.
If bought and kept in the UK it is thought to be not a real problem .

However as said some brokers will not sell a boat without the required paperwork in place . Others will do so while stating no proof of vat in the advert which may effectively de-value the boat. If you think about it unless you are given the original receipts and documents and evidence of subsequent sales how do you know you are legitimately buying from the true owner of the boat.
Yep. Agree . Must be tons of boats out there without vat paid proof though?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by MartynG » 18 Apr 2018, 21:59

ChrisH wrote:. Must be tons of boats out there without vat paid proof though?

I find the lack of proper paperwork (and lack of service history) remarkable given the relatively high value of most boats.

But yes there are no doubt many boats with nothing to prove who owns them . Perhaps that is an intentional way to hide some money ?
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: Farndon