  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Engine ID

by exterminator » 18 May 2018, 14:56

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping there's someone on here who can identify engines on sight :roll: I have a Princess 32 (born 197?), One of the diesel lift pumps is leaking and needs replacing, it would seem I can get one fairly easily for around the £30 mark if only I can give engine specifics. I have put some pictures on dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c5562t1an8tl ... 8Xg0a?dl=0

There are pic's of the lift pump in question, the full engine and whatever numbers I can find. Enough details of the engine type or pump to be able to order a replacement would be a 'life saver'.

Thank you for looking
exterminator
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 18 May 2018, 14:44

by exterminator » 18 May 2018, 16:01

Just had someone suggest it could be a Volvo MD21A? If they're correct then the pump just got a whole lot more expensive and difficult to find. That would lead me to two further questions:
1. Is there an equivalent car engine that would use the same parts?
2. If I give up on it and fit a 12v pump instead, do I remove the original and fit a blanking plate to the engine or do I just plug the pipe connections on the original pump, if it's the latter does anyone know the thread sizes for the plugs (bolts)?
exterminator
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 18 May 2018, 14:44

by ChrisH » 18 May 2018, 19:53

exterminator wrote:Just had someone suggest it could be a Volvo MD21A? If they're correct then the pump just got a whole lot more expensive and difficult to find. That would lead me to two further questions:
1. Is there an equivalent car engine that would use the same parts?
2. If I give up on it and fit a 12v pump instead, do I remove the original and fit a blanking plate to the engine or do I just plug the pipe connections on the original pump, if it's the latter does anyone know the thread sizes for the plugs (bolts)?
Sorry can't help I'm afraid on this

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 18 May 2018, 22:47

In short, I have no ideas what the engines are unfortunately, however, my suggestion would be to try sending the pictures to a couple of main dealers, they might be able to identify them? The challenge will be getting to speak to someone tht actually cares about what the customer is saying and is willing to try and assist rather than taking the easy option of saying no. I’ve heard there are a couple out there that will help. Good luck, sorry I can’t offer more assistance.

by exterminator » 19 May 2018, 10:58

Unfortunately it's the lack of interest/effort from the dealers that has sent me begging on the forums :( :( :(
exterminator
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 18 May 2018, 14:44

by Ianfs » 19 May 2018, 15:57

Hi exterminator and welcome to the forum. Those Princess 32's were THE boats to have when they metamorphosised from the Project 32. The twin engine versions would almost plane and the singles made economical river boats.

That doesn't help you though. When I first looked at the photos I immediately thought oh that's a Perkins engine, it's certainly a Perkins colour scheme, but of course it may have been repainted. Volvo engines are normally a little darker green.

My memory is not as good as it used to be but what I can tell you is that Perkins and Volvo used the same block which I am pretty certain is a Peugeot engine marinised. The XD 4 marking was something to do with the type of car engine which I'm certain was used in a Peugeot 504.

Now this doesn't help much with the original question of identifying the type i.e. is it an MD21 or an AQD21 but it may help with finding a lift pump for a Peugeot somewhere which will do the job. :D

Edit. It's a Peugeot - Indenor XD P 4/90 Type 4 I think marinised by Volvo or Perkins

by exterminator » 19 May 2018, 19:29

Thanks Lanfs, that's a great help and means I can now go on a trek round the scrapyards.
I too thought they were Perkins which is why I thought a replacement would be easy to find and cheap to buy, but then again I've never been that lucky!!!

The leak is from the joint which runs horizontally roughly through the centre of the pump, if I go down the repair route will this be a replacement gasket or replacement diaphragm, if the latter could I even get one??
exterminator
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 18 May 2018, 14:44

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair