  • In total there are 53 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Auto reverse brakes issue

by Bigplumbs » 14 May 2018, 18:39

ChrisH wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:I bought a complete new Knott Axle about 3 years ago and new brake cables. The Brakes and cables are now all had it because of the salt water. Even though I flush them every time

I have just returned from Indespension £145 lighter with a load of parts I don't think will last 2 years. This year I am going to spray the inside of my breaks through a little hole at the back with WD40 each time I get home from using it.

So with the new head this has cost me £ 350. Nice this boating lark

Don't much care about the actual braking efficiency as my Disco will easily stop my 1000 kg boat, I just don't want them all seized up.

There must be a better answer than what we have here in the UK

Dennis
Have you tried saltaway.
I used this on my boat last year after everyouting. Like spray with the hose pipe attachment and dissolved all the salt lovely. So should also work on your hubs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will have a look at that

Thanks

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ChrisH » 14 May 2018, 20:34

Bigplumbs wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
[...]

Sorry my bad. I actually have starbrite saltoff. Found a good deal when I got mine. But here is one not too bad.
https://www.mylorchandlery.co.uk/cleane ... qZEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by argonaut » 14 May 2018, 23:09

That Video is for KNOTT brakes the shoes are different for leading and trailing shoes,
For AL-KO the shoes are the same - i.e. not handed.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 14 May 2018, 23:17

ChrisH wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:
Dennis
Have you tried saltaway.
I used this on my boat last year after everyouting. Like spray with the hose pipe attachment and dissolved all the salt lovely. So should also work on your hubs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have used a Salt dissolver (Salt-Off and X-Salt) ... flush both brakes hubs and the engine after each use.

Just run out ..... if anybody is aware of a good price of such a product in UK .. let me know, 3 previous retailetrs I have used are no more.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ColinR » 15 May 2018, 09:47

Having the shoes arse about face was an issue I had last time I had a boat on a trailer. Took me ages to find the problem! It did cause the symptoms that Argo is having though.

I assumed that was not the case here though due to the vast experience of the OP :D
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by argonaut » 15 May 2018, 12:07

On this particular variant of Al-Ko brakes the leading & trailing shoe are exactly the same.

On Knott brakes the shoes are different.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 15 May 2018, 13:58

Al ko brakes are way ahead of Knott in my very humble opinion. Guys, they don't have the cam/brake release on the brake itself, instead the small cam is at the top and the leading shoe rest on it, hopefully this is the type Argonaut has. When reversing it lets the leading shoe release. Hence the shoes are the same.

by argonaut » 15 May 2018, 15:16

Exactly .. the cam is opposite side of the star wheel adjuster ..take a look at attached picture.

Its a triangular shaped cam, the theory is if wheel moves backwards and the brakes are applied the top of the shoe presses down on cam and it moves (against spring pressure), and then trips all effective braking force.

In my case checked all 4 hubs ... cams free to move and return spring working fine.

Have put in some play in actuating rod (against manual setting advice) will test and see if that has any positive result.
Attachments
Doc1.pdf
(327.08 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 18 May 2018, 07:28

Any joy Rick?

by argonaut » 18 May 2018, 11:36

put in 5mm of play ... Tested - same
Put in 10mm of play ....Tested - same

Mate came along and we spent some time trying options - still no wiser.
Even reversing with rod disconnected ... at least proving it is for sure related to auto- reverse mechanism.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

PreviousNext