  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Propellers

Prop anti-fouling

by shibbs » 13 Jul 2016, 21:27

A question to all those who keep their boats in the water..

I did the leg with Trilux spray paint this year, admittedly, the boat has hardly moved so far which obviously wont help, but it is awful, the leg has about a foot of weed trailing! :x What do you use on your outdrives?
I'll need to get in and scrub it before going out next if i dont want to drain the fuel tank in 5 minutes!

Anyway,, back to the main point of the post.. What do you use on SS props?
I tried prop shield last year and it was useless! I haven't been able to bring myself to paint them yet, is this the only way ahead, if so, with what and with what preparation?

At present, i just remove it every now and again and give it a scrub up and polish but can be a bit of a pain, and it's only a matter of time before i drop it... :o

Any advice or wisdom welcome!

by shibbs » 07 Apr 2018, 21:36

Thought I’d throw this one out there again..
I now use Trilux paint on for the leg as opposed to the spray and it makes a remarkable difference, no idea why? Maybe a thicker more effective mixture of paint..?

Anyway, reference the prop,

Has anyone got a system that works for immersed props? I’ve still not managed to master it and it gets comsiderably fouled, to the point of needing to be needing to be removed to be cleaned if sat for a while.

I found a product in the shop today called ‘SeaJet Pellerclean’, it’s designed for props. However it is £55 per go so thought I’d see if anyone has heard of it or even used it?
I’ll do some research anyway but thought I’d ask.

Any ideas?

by mlines » 08 Apr 2018, 10:33

Just keep it in a high state of polish and always go at a speed where the sea life cannot hang on to the slippery surface :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 08 Apr 2018, 14:27

+1 for the above.

I've tried many times to get paint to stick to Stainless Steel and couldn't but I understand its all down to the prep and what primer is used.

by shibbs » 08 Apr 2018, 21:00

I think half the problem is that i cant bring myself to paint a SS prop. :? They look too nice shiny! :lol:

by MartynG » 23 Jan 2020, 22:36

I have had no luck at all in keeping paint on aluminium props
This time I used Hammerite Special Metals Primer which I had read about on another boat forum - we shall see, in due course , whether it sticks to the props . I applied three coats by brush (the brush cleans in water) . The primer looks very pink when it goes on but cures to more of a red oxide colour. The black top coat in the third image is a spray paint intended for car bodywork . The primer alone would probably not be durable.

Image
.
Image
.
Image

I don't use antifoul on props or the outdrives ..... but do have to spend a while cleaning them up when the boat is lifted.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by shibbs » 23 Jan 2020, 22:43

Fingers crossed for you. I have to say, it doesn't fill me with confidence in the fact that the brush cleans in water... :lol: :?
Let us know how you get on with it.
Last year i just got into the routine of removing the prop every few weeks for a scrub, not ideal but works better than other options i've tried, still can't bring myself to paint the SS.
Dry stack would solve the problem for me.. :lol:

Return to Propellers