  • In total there are 71 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

Motor Boat Forum

16 Days adrift

by BruceK » 06 Sep 2017, 10:27

You get more fair weather sailing in if you can take the rough with the smooth Geoff :lol: It's this country, 4 seasons in a day :roll:
BruceK

by TorbayRob » 06 Sep 2017, 18:28

Great write up and pictures - thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading :lol:
TorbayRob
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Torbay (or pub if it's raining)

by shibbs » 06 Sep 2017, 18:41

+1 to above. Fantastic write up. Feel like I've experienced it with you.
Some quite amusing lines in there that genuinely brought a smile to the face.
Truly unforgettable experiences for the kids ( and dog :lol: ) though, priceless!!
And your right, pictures and video really don't do rough sea justice, whilst you can hear the noise of the engine and see the pitch and roll of the boat, the sea just doesn't show just how lumpy it clearly was.

by BruceK » 06 Sep 2017, 22:08

Lol. Thank you. Yes, why a camera always shows the water calmer than it is is beyond me. I suppose its the same as why a camera never shows how steep a gradient of a hill you've climbed. Bardsey sound is the channel that holds the tidal flow of water for Cardigan Bay and Caernarfon Bay. A vast volume of water flows through with up to a meter height difference in sea level from one side to the other. The energy of the water is awesome. I was doing 16knt SOG at displacement speed in places. Steering was largely arbitrary. The boat could not correct in time before yet another correction needed to be made or another wave upon you. The videos cant show that or the awesome energy in comparatively small waves where you became powered flotsam not driving the boat with purpose but simply correcting the whole time . Like riding rapids really. Also video wasnt taken during the worst of it. But watching your boat flex is the scariest bit. My keel beams and spars are 16 inch by 6 inch beams and the ribs 2 inch but they may as well have been rubber at times as I watched the top deck bow and pinch visibly.
Bardsey Sound has a fearsome rep during springs and its well deserved. Its the only time I have been truly alarmed so far and Im not shy of rough water.
BruceK

by sprocker » 07 Sep 2017, 06:58

Excellent write up Bruce, thankyou for sharing once again.

Amazing cruising grounds you have up there!
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by BruceK » 07 Sep 2017, 11:05

Thanks Sprocker. It is well worth a visit should you ever have the time and inclination to cruise up this way. Maybe as a halfway house to a Scottish tour? nudge nudge wink wink. I promise not to steal your last bacon butty :lol:
BruceK

by sprocker » 07 Sep 2017, 13:32

BruceK wrote:I promise not to steal your last bacon butty :lol:

Sod the bacon butty, it's the beer I'm more bothered about.......
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by BruceK » 07 Sep 2017, 14:00

Bring lots then :D
BruceK

by sprocker » 08 Sep 2017, 11:13

BruceK wrote:Thanks Sprocker. It is well worth a visit should you ever have the time and inclination to cruise up this way.

Actually this is on my bucket list Bruce! It wont be for a few years, after we both retire and have our 'retirement boat', but I have already started to put together the basics of a cruise plan.
I was somewhat inspired by Timothy Spall when he made a TV program about a similar cruise.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by BruceK » 08 Sep 2017, 15:49

Oh bugger your retirement boat isn't going to be a converted barge is it? Shame on you :lol:
BruceK

PreviousNext