Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Trailer Recommendation

by argonaut » 18 Aug 2017, 21:21

Thinking about changing my boat ... dealer offers an SBS roller trailer.
Not cheap at £4.5k

Current boat has Indespension (Hallmark) Super Roller Coaster. Twin axle.
Obviously I can go buy any trailer I want ....

What is your preferred trailer, and why.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ChrisH » 19 Aug 2017, 21:42

argonaut wrote:Thinking about changing my boat ... dealer offers an SBS roller trailer.
Not cheap at £4.5k

Current boat has Indespension (Hallmark) Super Roller Coaster. Twin axle.
Obviously I can go buy any trailer I want ....

What is your preferred trailer, and why.
I have a degraff . Seems pretty well made to me and taper bearings which I like.
They are in Chobham. Had a chat with them for some advice and they were really helpful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by betty boop » 21 Aug 2017, 08:33

argonaut wrote:Thinking about changing my boat ... dealer offers an SBS roller trailer.
Not cheap at £4.5k

Current boat has Indespension (Hallmark) Super Roller Coaster. Twin axle.
Obviously I can go buy any trailer I want ....

What is your preferred trailer, and why.

SBS are cheap and IMHO nasty trailers. Yes they are cheap and reasonably basic reliable with usually alco hubs n axles but you will suffer from all sorts of misfitting poor design failures. This is my second SBS, first bunked/single this one rollered/double. they are both the same flat bed car trailer design with cheap one piece rubber wheel units added on the rollered version. The boat sits very high due to the flat cross members which catch on any step in the hull you may have, the boat weight will crush and crack the keel rollers (1st season) (which wont turn anyway). The hull rollers will rust and unless its a flat ish even hull wont sit evenly. mine has a one set flat on the hull towards the rear the other set only 2 or 3 of the 4 roller set support the hull as it curves upwards. The winch posts vary in size but are often supplied well below spec and dont really pull up in line just pull down, for a 22' cuddy the winch post is about 300mm to low so the stress on bow eye at the end of the winch is extreme. When they built mine the jockey wheel will not wind when the hand brake is up- you would think that is a basic must do/check.

That said if ur happy to spend extra and insist the dealer sets it up to spec and argue like hell to get it right the they are worth the saving I guess. Having done this twice now both dealers just off loaded the trailer as off the shelf and both were below par. What Ive seen on other trailers from DeG and Indesp and the quality/set up appears much better. Sorry for the negative rant but SBS are a bug bear for me over 13 years and you learn cheap deals often are not the deal they seem in reality when dipping in salt water.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 21 Aug 2017, 13:32

Thanks .. never had SBS hence my Q's
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by mlines » 21 Aug 2017, 13:44

I am afraid I am going to confuse things by saying I do not recognise Ians observations on an SBS trailer

My rollers are not the rubber ones but are heavy duty plastic (air filled), it does not suffer from rust on the rollers/mounts and the winch post is very sturdy.

The only issue I have with it is that the jockey wheel clamping mechanism rattles loose and the jockey wheel drops. However I had a Brenderup trailer on the previous boat and it did the same.

I would be perfectly happy to have the same trailer again if I ever changed trailer boat.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Xboatboyx » 21 Aug 2017, 16:23

I would also recommend SBS. Our trailer is probably getting on for 9 years old and has no signs of rust or heavy corrosion but then its rinsed and flushed through with fresh water after being in the sea. We have a Cobalt at work that has a brand new SBS trailer and from talking to the owners they are very happy with it towing to France. I have seen some rust and corrode on other trailers but these appear to be very old trailers and mostly down to owner abuse.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by kwil » 21 Aug 2017, 16:31

mlines wrote:I am afraid I am going to confuse things by saying I do not recognise Ians observations on an SBS trailer.

I have to agree as I also do not recognise any of those comments. I have however only ever dealt with SBS in Wolverhampton directly and have always found them knowledgable and helpful. My SBS trailers have always had plenty of adjustment to match my hulls, and not flexed causing damage which can be an issue on under specified trailers.
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by argonaut » 21 Aug 2017, 20:09

Is the cross beam concave ... i.e puts hull lower
Makes i t easier for launching ....

MY SRC has shaped swinging cross beams .. and the roller bogeys are clamped to them.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by betty boop » 22 Aug 2017, 08:21

Oh dear have I upset the SBS community :D

If I didnt say so before my comments are based 100% on my experience of the SBS product- as with most things we have our own opinions, rightly or wrongly. My comments are based on trailers I know with 100% certainty (knowing the dealer in Chertsey dealer personally) that were provided as cheap off the shelf units with no set up or comparison to the load they are carrying. As a result both trailers were left with bunk arms that were 3 inches off the road surface, the first tailer with winch post at knee height, mud guards 1 inch above tyres causing them to melt and damage tyres, I'm afraid the list goes on and is not limited to how the trailer was handed over by the dealer but more so the build /design (call it what you like) of the trailer itself.

The 2nd trailer is also 2500 model wsa sold with a single winch section arm , I do know of at least one other ex forum member who has a much large boat than all of us and has the correct (A frame) winch post fitted from SBSand they can and do provide proper spec'd trailers but when you have a dealer that sells as a cheap 'deal' dont expect it to be up to spec. SBS have, in the past may be, supplied below spec trailers to (I assume) dealers wanting a cheap deal.

My words on quality come from frustration esp when the skin comes off my knuckle when I roll down the winch post, when mudguards are paper thin and there is no keel roller or nose block to stop the boat coming off the front end. The keel V rollers are solid rubber, theres nothing air filled anything on my trailer, (may be we have different aged trailers), the forward adjustable V roller and the axle it sits on has already been replaced twice by myself through it being crushed under the forward weight of the load. I know this may have been an inappropriate load set up but again I go back to the dealer just plonking a boat on a cheaper off the shelf trailer with no regard to how it performs when dragging it across country.

I added 2 pics showing the arm and how Ive had to modify it with DIY welding and a 3T racket strap and how the keel almost hits the frame just as reference .

In defence of SBS - yes they are very helpful, they did sell me (over night) replacement parts for all the bits broken /missing, the owner/MD did offer to review my photos on the winch post but could not offer any support on the poor nose block design that chipped the gel coat by not stopping the boat at the winch or last/first keel stop roller missing (but sold me one). Would I buy another - may be - I guess it depends for what and the saving vs the alternative

I feel like Im justify my bad luck and bad experiences :lol: for the sake of argument I'd like to hear what Geoff has to say about his nice shiny trailer for the new SeaRay. side by side they look very much different in quality/set up and why did he not chose SBS as an option?
Attachments
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 18698 times
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG (3.12 MiB) Viewed 18698 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by kwil » 22 Aug 2017, 09:20

betty boop wrote:Oh dear have I upset the SBS community :D

[...]

It appears we are talking about very different products, those ordered and correctly specified direct from SBS and those thrown in as a package by dealers that are parred down to a may just do specification to keep the price down. I have had the same with Roller Coaster trailers, the ones that are supplied as part of a complete package are not really up to the job. Trailer load limit is right on the supplied boat/engine combination, not enough spare capacity to fuel the boat. But order one separately and you would not be supplied such an inferior trailer.

Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate