• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:44
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

RWD cars for towing

by Centaur » 04 Aug 2017, 08:58

What a fab video (and a smart tow car too)!

Makes me wish I still had a trailer boat... and that I ought to get a video camera, find out how to use it and how to edit the results!

Incidentally, what are the regulations and what paperwork do you need to take a boat out on the Lake?
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Xboatboyx » 04 Aug 2017, 09:10

Centaur wrote:What a fab video (and a smart tow car too)!

Makes me wish I still had a trailer boat... and that I ought to get a video camera, find out how to use it and how to edit the results!

Incidentally, what are the regulations and what paperwork do you need to take a boat out on the Lake?

From what I've heard there aren't many rules and regulations, or at least they are not really enforced out on the lake. It is tempting to take the Regal away one year whilst we have a trailer boat.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Xboatboyx » 04 Aug 2017, 09:13

Ianfs wrote:A6 Allroad, was voted best tow car by the Caravan Club.

Here's a Vid taken by Mitch (Modern Family friends of Martin and James Lines) of his trip to Lake Annecy with his SeaRay 19. Now he has a rather posh Cobalt. :D

They are back at Annecy this summer with the Colbalt and after seeing a few preview videos on instagram i think my boat will be joining them next year!
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by mlines » 04 Aug 2017, 09:14

Xboatboyx wrote:
From what I've heard there aren't many rules and regulations, or at least they are not really enforced out on the lake. It is tempting to take the Regal away one year whilst we have a trailer boat.

Especially having just seen the new clip of them on the Lake this year whilst they are waiting for ChrisH to join them, a lake meet in France - so jealous.

I am contemplating the purchase of a drone but the reliability reports on the new DJI Spark (the "cheap" entry level drone) are poor at the moment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnIKOCjtNh/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWLx9CDDPw/
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 18 Aug 2017, 20:06

Centaur wrote:What a fab video (and a smart tow car too)!

It's tricky to know exactly what is expected. But I have with me my ICC. Proof of ownership and insurance. Also SSR Registration. That said no one has stopped me and asked for anything. But others have told me they can have a purge from time to time. Never stopped in Spain either when we took the boat there. But best to be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 19 Aug 2017, 08:50

Hi Chris
I hope you see this post I didn't want to hijack Argonauts topic.

To get more nose weight normally between 50-100kgs, one would move the winch post. This in turn would either take weight off (move to stern) or add weight to tow hitch by moving it forward.

I've tried to blow up your set up photo at the beginning of this thread but it blurs up, so I can only assume you have a roller coaster of some kind and I am unable to see if your winch post is movable forward.

If it is all you have to do is undo the bolts and bring it forward in short stages. A word of warning though. Some tow bars have a limit on their down weight. My Discovery can have 150 kgs I think but the Rav only 60kgs. It depends upon the tow bar and then the hitch. Oh and you may have to move the bow keel roller as well.
Hth. :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 19 Aug 2017, 21:36

Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris

To get more nose weight normally between 50-100kgs, one would move the winch post. This in turn would either take weight off (move to stern) or add weight to tow hitch by moving it forward.

I've tried to blow up your set up photo at the beginning of this thread but it blurs up, so I can only assume you have a roller coaster of some kind and I am unable to see if your winch post is movable forward.

If it is all you have to do is undo the bolts and bring it forward in short stages. A word of warning though. Some tow bars have a limit on their down weight. My Discovery can have 150 kgs I think but the Rav only 60kgs. It depends upon the tow bar and then the hitch. Oh and you may have to move the bow keel roller as well.
Thanks Ian. So yes it is a rollercoaster setup. I have just about half an inch of the hull overhanging the last roller. Can t move the boat forward any more otherwise the transponder will.catch the rollers.
When I had the trailer serviced before going to annecy. They moved the axles back abit but are reluctant to go any further. They say I will.get wagging, which surprises me with a twin axle setup.
So do most peope.have the transom forward of the rear rollers then?

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 19 Aug 2017, 21:40

ChrisH wrote:
Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris

Thanks Ian. So yes it is a rollercoaster setup. I have just about half an inch of the hull overhanging the last roller. Can t move the boat forward any more otherwise the transponder will.catch the rollers.
When I had the trailer serviced before going to annecy. They moved the axles back abit but are reluctant to go any further. They say I will.get wagging, which surprises me with a twin axle setup.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.
I have al.ost no nisr weight at all.
Right now on holiday I have a 25kg bag of sand on top of the spare wheel and a load of luggage in the bow. Estimate I have approx 80 to 100 kg of nose weight now and car is running much better.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 21 Aug 2017, 11:36

Here's the stern setup on the trailerImageImageImageImage

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 21 Aug 2017, 19:10

No, most are just like yours.

Right well, if I've got the bits in the picture right, you should be able to move the rear swinging arm forward a short way in order to move the boat a little further forward. You may need to either scroll down the photo or open it up.

There is one further consideration to take into account, which I have just remembered towing a twin axle trailer with a saloon/estate car and that is the tow ball height. A Land Rover, for example has a higher ball height and therefore the trailer sits more naturally when attached with both axles taking the same load. When I towed with a BMW, the natural sitting position of the hitch was about the same as the tow ball, consequently very little downforce and extra load on the front tyres.

I'm sure I read in one of your posts that your front wheels are taking more weight than the rear, is that right or am I dreaming?

Oh and a quick tip, buy a cheap set of bathroom scales and stick them under the jockey wheel. :D

Chris's boat.jpg
Chris's boat.jpg (181.42 KiB) Viewed 16472 times
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

User Menu