• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:48
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

trim sender

by betty boop » 22 May 2017, 13:12

Im having problems with the trim sender gauge, when drive down gauge is down when up gauge is up, in between the gauge reads up and down more times than some one from a nursery rhyme during the raising of the leg. no consistency in the fault the needle just jumps all over the place. The sender and wiring look fine- the gauge tests high & low with a jumper as expected.

Any clues on what to look for/test next or replace? I'm not stripping down the bell housing to replace the sender until its time but I wasnt sure if there is a way anyone knows of testing the wiring or gauge to operate as it should.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 22 May 2017, 20:33

The sender and wiring look fine-

OK so, just to make sure we are on the same page, the Starboard one is the Sender and the Port is the Limiter, OK yes I know it is written on them, but hey, it may have come off over time.... :? :D

I think the jumper test is to check the solenoid/pump, rather than the sender switches/sensors. :)

I think if it was the wiring it would not work at all. So from your description, even though it all looks ok, it sounds as if the contacts on the sensor arms are not connecting properly and sending spurious signals to the indicator dial. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the Sender looks like but I seem to think it is a sealed unit, unlike the limiter, but I could be completely wrong. I guess the system works on a current change, similar to a potentiometer or that of a volume knob on a radio/stereo etc. If you flush it out with WD40 or similar, you may find it will start working again.

PS just a thought, the screws might have come loose. :roll:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 23 May 2017, 16:04

Ianfs wrote:
The sender and wiring look fine-

OK so, just to make sure we are on the same page, the Starboard one is the Sender and the Port is the Limiter, OK yes I know it is written on them, but hey, it may have come off over time.... :? :D

I think the jumper test is to check the solenoid/pump, rather than the sender switches/sensors. :)

I think if it was the wiring it would not work at all. So from your description, even though it all looks ok, it sounds as if the contacts on the sensor arms are not connecting properly and sending spurious signals to the indicator dial. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the Sender looks like but I seem to think it is a sealed unit, unlike the limiter, but I could be completely wrong. I guess the system works on a current change, similar to a potentiometer or that of a volume knob on a radio/stereo etc. If you flush it out with WD40 or similar, you may find it will start working again.

PS just a thought, the screws might have come loose. :roll:

sorry to say Ive done all that Ian but thanks anyway. I read it's a rhinometer or something? - Im sure that sounds familiar to people in the know I get the theory but thats about all. Jumping the contacts is supposed to prove full 12v powers the gauge and it does. Having been inside the sender (yes Starboard) its no more than 2 springs on a circuit board. Its been cleaned already - works and fails again. As of last night on the 3rd strip down it started working spot on . SO if it fails again as it has done before it must be the sender/wiring. Apparently I also read the wire insulating is porous - WHY I ask? thus they seep water and I guess corrode/short circuit.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Boat Maintenance & Repair Forum

User Menu