• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:58
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Boat Projects Forum

Remodelling by raising roof GRP

by benjames1975 » 27 Apr 2017, 16:11

Hi,

Might be a stupid question, if it is I apologise. Also, I searched under various terms on google but didn't come across anything satisfactory. Maybe I haven't hit on the right search words yet.

I was wondering what the effects of raising the roof on a small boat might be. Basically to add some light but strong wooden framing and some fibreglass. The sort of boat I am considering is something between 20 and 22ft like a Norman. I have added a crude picture which I hope you can access.

Here is the link?

I wouldn't be adding any weight but would make sure I have headroom as at the moment a Norman has a roof height of about 4 foot so it would give some standing area which would completely change the enjoyment of the boat.

Any suggestions or anyone know anyone who has done something similar?

Thanks,
Ben
benjames1975
Able Rate
Able Rate

by betty boop » 28 Apr 2017, 07:05

I had a friend that had the same and it wasn't a problem. He bought a £500 boat very similar if not the same to what you posted, the previous owner had hacked off the roof and reinstalled a bodge raised roof box. That hadnt gone to well and so he stripped it back to a hole, reframed it and covered in marine ply/glass etc. gave loads of extra head room and matched the existing level etc.

it was only used as a canal boat though but still handled fine and was perfectly liveable onboard which was his intention.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by benjames1975 » 02 May 2017, 12:06

OK. Thanks for your reply Betty Boop.

I shall seriously think about it as I don't think it would be too hard with the right fibre cloth and resin and as you say marine ply. It's just doing it in a way that doesn't look bad and looks ok.

Ben
benjames1975
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 02 May 2017, 21:07

Ben, welcome to the form.

I'm in awe of your photoshop work, it makes the boat you have chosen look superb.

As long as you don't add a lot of weight, and you keep the lines, I would say that it would only enhance the already classic design and wouldn't alter its stability.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to Boat Projects Forum

User Menu