• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:10
  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Boat Projects Forum

Interior tidy up

by shibbs » 08 Dec 2014, 20:55

Well when i brought her i received some good advice from a couple on here not to spend any money on cosmetics until i knew she was mechanically sound. Good advice i thought!
Having done 17 outings (of which 3 were overnight) and around 30 engine hours, i'm fairly content (apart from a few very minor teething issues) that i've not got any major problems to deal with.
So, i've set about tidying up the cabin.
This is how it was when i got her:
Image
I've already had new curtains made, next is re-upholster the cushions, back rests and side panels. I intend to either, re-varnish all of the wooden surfaces, or, (Your opinions would be appreciated,,) spray paint the wood in a light colored paint?
Colours that we are going for are Dark grey curtains and sides behind seats and Navy blue seat and back cushions.
So far:
Image
Image
Ideally, i'd also like to re-do the roof lining, but i don't know if i can put myself through it :o
The sewing machine is also currently out making night time covers for the windows on the camping cover. (Not my biggest talent but we'll see). I'll add pictures when i make soem progress.. :)

by Ianfs » 08 Dec 2014, 21:35

My first thoughts were that your chosen colours would make it dark inside, which, I suspect is why the current colours are light. However, you probably wouldn't use the cabin during the day much and therefore at night it would be lit, so no problem.

However I am a bit of a stickler for keeping things original and traditional, the upholstery would look right, but I would re-varnish the woodwork. I think that painting it would make it look like it was just painted wood, but doing a really good job of varnishing, like several coats with sanding after every coat apart from the last one would look amazing.

by _Ed_ » 09 Dec 2014, 00:18

Will be keeping an eye on this. Shall be doing the same to my boat next year after I'm happy with sea trials...
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by shibbs » 19 Dec 2014, 22:41

Can anyone recommend anywhere that is likely to be able to supply a sheet of Teak to replace the table top below. I'm pretty sure it is some sort of plastic as it has a crack running through it where someone has stood on it in the past. Also very faded. I need to change it as it annoys me every time i look at it. :x
Image
It's a shame in a way as it has the writing on it.
Any ideas would be great.. :)

by shibbs » 18 Jan 2015, 21:01

Finally making some progress. The blackout covers for the camping cover are all done (no pictures yet though). I managed to impress myself with my sewing machine efforts!
All seat cushions are now re-covered, better pics to follow when i get them back...
Image
Image
Today i made the most of the bright sunny weather and started about the rubbing down of all the wood.
Image
Image
But decided, if i am to get a decent finish, then it all has to come out to be rubbed down and painted properly! so....
Image
Image
Image
So there we have it. Took ages to get it all out, at the moment i don't feel like i'm making progress as i just seem to be taking stuff out of the boat but, now it is all at home i can get working in the evenings too.
Image
Will update soon.. :D

by shibbs » 25 Jan 2015, 20:12

I have made some good progress this weekend, managed to get all the wood sanded down to a decent standard (took alot more time than i expected, and my hands and arms now really ache :? ). Also got the first layer of primer on about 2/3 of the wood.
Image
Image
Image
Plans for next weekend are to finish the primer coat on all, then rub down ready for the top coat.

I think... i have also talked myself into re-doing the roof lining while all the interior is stripped out also :o ...

Anyone any experience with roof linings?? Be great to hear any advice if so?

by _Ed_ » 25 Jan 2015, 21:40

Glad to see someone busy! You are dealing with stuff (on a larger scale) that I've been thinking for ages. Any idea on how the roof lining is done already? That I'm interested in. Even at the boat show the roof linings were not really that great on small cuddies.
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by _Ed_ » 25 Jan 2015, 21:41

Another thought and totally random!! If you have it all stripped out, you could also flush mount that 13A double socket it would blend in nicely! - unless I cant see it right and it already is.
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by shibbs » 25 Jan 2015, 22:30

Good call on the socket - hadn't thought of that. I will certainly look into that although the fresh water tank is in front of it so that may interfere??

As for the roof lining, at present, it is a fabric with foam backing, simply glued in place. My thoughts are to buy the replacement (specific roof lining material with backing already in place) material, sew together to give required width, then use spray adhesive to attach. I did a little on my last, it was a nightmare to cut to shape and a disgustingly messy job to glue but as i said, while its all stripped out... ;)

by _Ed_ » 26 Jan 2015, 00:24

Never had much luck with spray adhesive. Always seems to fail after a year or so - seems to dry out?! I hear the roll on stuff is much better?
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner