  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Boat Projects Forum

Regal 2250 - Remote boat monitor

by mlines » 31 May 2015, 19:19

Wet weather playtime, start of a remote monitor for the boat using an Arduino. The intention is to eventually create a little boat installled computer that reports back via the internet various status reports.

This is the initial build with a display added and a small temperature sensor, you can see I use my body temperature to raise the sensor temp and set an alarm to red. I have a GPRS module in the post to get the "remote" part working next.

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ian h » 31 May 2015, 20:27

Intresting project, Keep the updates coming,

Intrested in what the unit will report back.
ian h

by mlines » 31 May 2015, 20:39

It will report anything you like. Its a microcontroller to which you add sensors and programme it. So it can report anything from battery condition to motion (g force) speed , locations, fluid levels

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by _Ed_ » 31 May 2015, 21:46

I've done a lot with this. The arduino are great mini boards, and get quite good fun with gps and accelerometers etc. Looks like you are using a single wire DS1820 temp sensor?

One thing for a boat is its worth looking into sleep and power management. That way you can massively extend battery life. I'll be keeping an eye on this are you going to get a sim/GPRS module as well?
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by mlines » 01 Jun 2015, 08:56

Ed - in the video its an LM35 sensor. However this does not go below 0 Centigrade and although you can see the test alarming at a warmer temperature, the real interest is to watch for freezing temperatures. I have the digital humidity/temperature sensor 2302 but the supplied library crashes the compiler at the moment, so that work in progress.

I am waiting for the GSM/GPRS module to arrive in the post, they are cheap as chips from China.

Power management will be essential in the finished version. It will be running on shore power and will alert when it detects a change over from shorepower to battery (i.e power fail). However I am talking to a Microcontroller expert at work about putting the chip to sleep and waking it up on a timer or an external event input (movement sensor?)

There are some libraries which mean the remote Arduino can feed into Google charts so the status can be seen from an Internet web page with the data fed in from the Arduino - I like the gauge chart and can feed temp/humidity to this with an SMS text on reaching an alarm limit - https://google-developers.appspot.com/c ... lery/gauge
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by mlines » 01 Jun 2015, 15:15

That's better, now found a library that will compile. I can add in humidity as well.

Next is the GPRS card but this is more difficult as I notice it shares an I/O port with the LCD card :(

circuit.jpg
circuit.jpg (162.74 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by shibbs » 01 Jun 2015, 17:56

Very impressive, very useful bit of kit that!

by mlines » 03 Jun 2015, 07:32

Of course after you start a project you find someone has been there before!

The Scooterputer - http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php

He uses a different (and much fancier display card) which does not clash with the GSM card so my project may become "heavily influenced" by this design ;)
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 03 Jun 2015, 16:43

And there are some out there which let the owners where there boats are moving too.

Yours lets you know all sorts of other information, keep at it! :D

by mlines » 03 Jun 2015, 16:56

Well the gsm card has arrived today. An accelerometer, real time clock and GPS is on its way. This will give me 3 axis motion detection, location and an accurate timestamp

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire