  • In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Moving up in size...

by NikTheGeek » 13 Jun 2022, 18:15

Hi

If I trade up from my current small Bayliner 175 to a fast fisher, like the Jeanneau 655, should I go economical shaft drive diesel or outboard petrol? I've never owned or driven a shaft drive boat but I gather they are pretty reliable compared to sterndrives at least. The fuel economy of pottering round the coast in a diesel shaft drive appeals. I'm in my 50's and not bothered about getting from A to B quickly (and anyway, I'm also thinking about getting a jetski again), so this would just be for nice days out around the coast, something my bowrider can't really do.

Also, for those that know both, which is the better boat? A Jeanneau 655 or a Beneteau Antaries 6? I'm told they are pretty similar.

Any advice or words of warning appreciated, particularly around shaft drives vs outboards, but also around models.

thanks!

Nick
Seadoo Spark (for now)
ʞǝǝbǝɥʇʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ɹǝʇʇıʍʇ
ɹǝzʇןǝɯsʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ʞooqǝɔɐɟ
User avatar
NikTheGeek
Original Geek and Elderly Punk Rocker
Original Geek and Elderly Punk Rocker

Location: South Devon

by Ianfs » 15 Jun 2022, 10:15

I don't know about you Nick but my priorities have changed over the years. Although it is great to fly around like a hooligan, it's also good to be able to actually get out. It's a little different being retired because I can pick and choose the weather, but when I was working, days off of course were fixed unless it's holiday. British weather is not that reliable and one day can be calm and clear and the next blowing a hooley.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment that anyone go out in a gale, but if it's a Northerly here one day and F the sea is flat, albeit it can be chilly, the next day the Low/High moves with Isobars close and it's an F5/6 S Westerly with 1.5/2m waves. Although today for example is F2/3 S Westerly with a wave height of less than .5m according to various buoyage.

What I'm getting at Nick is a performance boat is great but limited and although a sportsboat can reach 50knts in an F2 in an F4/5 it'll be slowed to 10-15knts. Consequently unless it's storm force, wave heights around here are very often 2/3m ish and although 3m sounds big, if the length is good, a nice diesel engined boat with a shaft drive will cut through nicely.

by ian h » 18 Jun 2022, 19:24

Ianfs wrote:What I'm getting at Nick is a performance boat is great but limited and although a sportsboat can reach 50knts in an F2 in an F4/5 it'll be slowed to 10-15knts. Consequently unless it's storm force, wave heights around here are very often 2/3m ish and although 3m sounds big, if the length is good, a nice diesel engined boat with a shaft drive will cut through nicely.

I went from Fletcher 17 GTS to 36' Hunton and stern drives were fine as long as you service them, Who said performance boats are limited :D
Several times we had to come back from Cowes in F6 , Only had to reduce speed to 25knots :lol:

[quote="Ianfs"]I don't know about you Nick but my priorities have changed over the years. Although it is great to fly around like a hooligan, it's also good to be able to actually get out. It's a little different being retired because I can pick and choose the weather, but when I was working, days off of course were fixed unless it's holiday. British weather is not that reliable and one day can be calm and clear and the next blowing a hooley.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment that anyone go out in a gale, but if it's a Northerly here one day and F the sea is flat, albeit it can be chilly, the next day the Low/High moves with Isobars close and it's an F5/6 S Westerly with 1.5/2m waves. Although today for example is F2/3 S Westerly with a wave height of less than .5m according to various buoyage.

We are hoping to move to the Isle of Wight and looking at a replacement boat. Nearly 60 but not ready to go round at 10 knots,
Nut as Ian has said the British weather can change from day to day. so thinking need a cabin boat . either Axopar or Saxdor for the speed :D

We all different and you need to go on some sea trials and see what best suits your needs and expected usage.
ian h

by Ianfs » 21 Aug 2022, 17:44

Those Axopar's seem to handle very rough weather and would certainly handle 90% of the Solent weather.

by ian h » 29 Aug 2022, 19:29

The Axopar does seem to handle the solent chop well and with the cabin its suited to the Solent very well for all year round boating
ian h