  • In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Trailer and Tow Vehicle Forum

Inherited Boat work required / trailer advice?

by trailertrouble » 02 Apr 2019, 10:09

Hi,

Looking for some options, inherited what looks like a reasonable cabin type boat, its about 17foot and on a small braked trailer. Took the trailer to get checked out, needs a new axle, which I've so far been unable to source. The brakes were shot and in bits, I've contacted the supplier of trailer Mersea but I'm told the axle isn't a frequent size. What are my options?

Main concern right now is how do I move the boat get it our the trailer yard as they don't want it hanging about.

New trailer? - how do I transfer the boat to it?

Move the boat on the existing trailer and launch then put it on new trailer? IS it even possible to move a boat on a trailer?

I know the boat floats but haven't tried to start the engine as yet, it was running end of last fishing season (trout).

Any advice ideas welcome.
trailertrouble
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 10:01

by Ianfs » 02 Apr 2019, 12:09

Hi trailertrouble, welcome.

Yes you do have a dilemma, but its not insurmountable. I have a couple of questions...

How did you take the trailer to get it checked out? Was the boat on it or in the water? I'm guessing the boat wasn't on it because of your other questions.

Move the boat on the existing trailer and launch then put it on new trailer? IS it even possible to move a boat on a trailer?

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes to launch and put it on a new one that's simple. Yes it is absolutely possible to move a boat on a trailer, car with a tow hitch and bobs your uncle!

needs a new axle,

They may have said it needs a new axle because the brakes are shot but that doesn't mean the whole thing needs replacing, unless there are other things involved. Another thing is that a 17' boat is unlikely to exceed the 750kgs limit of an unbraked trailer, consequently you may not require the brakes to be operative. Except I cannot remember the law i.e. if a trailer is braked then they have to be operative. I'll try to look it up.

Mersea trailers seem to be a trailer supplier rather than a trailer builder and since dimensions and specs change over time they may not supply that size of axle any more, or its had a different one fitted at some stage. Try to find out what make of axle it is, if not then there are lots of trailer parts suppliers around and we can look at it further.

Do you have any photos?

by trailertrouble » 02 Apr 2019, 14:24

Thanks for the reply, I have some photos yeah, will attempt to upload.

Ok I towed the trailer with the boat on it to the trailer yard which was between 1 - 2 mile away. I now know that was a poor call, although as it had been driven over 100 miles to me I thought I'd be ok. Its a Bayliner 1702 (might be 19ft, will see if I can get a weight.)

Hopefully attached some photos.
Attachments
trailer2.jpg
trailer2.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
trailer.jpg
trailer.jpg (110.77 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
brake.jpg
brake.jpg (118.68 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
trailertrouble
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 10:01

by trailertrouble » 02 Apr 2019, 14:28

Just to add its 1400lbs (635KGS) its the 1702 Capri.
trailertrouble
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 10:01

by Ianfs » 02 Apr 2019, 14:57

Yes a Bayliner Capri is definitely over the 750kgs with engine and the trailer, plus the trailer has a 1600kgs gross weight plate, so should be braked to tow. Indeed, you must also tow it with a vehicle which has a towing capacity of 1600kgs, preferably above.

Those look like either Knott or Alko independant hubs, not an axle. You see there are two types, one is a torsion bar suspension which is a complete axle unit and the other type are single independant suspension units.

Axles___Suspension_Units_Printer_Friendly.pdf
(612.26 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

I suspect the trailer company you went to suggested suspension units because they are sometimes cheaper than buying all the bits and having them fitted.

Whether you change the suspension or buy another trailer depends upon your budget. You can sometimes pick up a second hand trailer for the Bayliner size for about £500, that'll sometimes be cheaper than new units plus cables, adjusters, etc. and maybe new wheels and tyres as sometimes the old ones wont fit new hubs. Having said that, a lot depends upon the sizes of the units. Older smaller brake units are actually more expensive than newer types and so depending upon how mechanically minded you are, you may be able to pick up brakes, cables and bits for not a lot. If you can find the sizes and the type then search through Trailertek, see below.

Trailertek

If you have somewhere to put the boat it'll give you time to research options, it might pay you to ring around recovery companies to see if they could transport it on the back of a truck for you for a fee. It's very risky and illegal to tow a boat which should have brakes which don't work and then it depends upon the type of vehicle you are towing with.

by mlines » 02 Apr 2019, 16:15

Berkshire Trailer Hire have a boat trailer for hire if you just need to move the boat whilst trying to source a newer trailer (probably easier to pick up a second hand trailer rather than replace an entire axle)

http://berkshiretrailerhire.co.uk/
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by trailertrouble » 03 Apr 2019, 13:47

THanks for the links and advice, Yeah car is 2000KG towing capacity, will see what can be done, hoping to get somewhere to to store it tonight / tomorrow, its just getting it to that location.
trailertrouble
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 10:01

by ChrisH » 04 Apr 2019, 17:50

What about renting a large flat bed car transporter trailer. And winch the trailer and boat onto it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 04 Apr 2019, 18:05

ChrisH wrote:What about renting a large flat bed car transporter trailer. And winch the trailer and boat onto it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
http://berkshiretrailerhire.co.uk/id14.html
As and example

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk