  • In total there are 68 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Found this, Sea level change map

by Ianfs » 26 Feb 2019, 13:57

http://flood.firetree.net/

Top left on the map, you can change the level from 1m rise to 60m, interesting. At 40m it comes over our cliff and we are buggered let alone other vulnerable parts of the country! :shock:

by MartynG » 26 Feb 2019, 22:14

Do you expect sea level increase of a few metres to be a risk in the next century or so?
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 28 Feb 2019, 09:22

Do you expect sea level increase of a few metres to be a risk in the next century or so?

I don't know Martyn, my comments were a bit tongue in cheek, but I thought the map looked like an interesting prediction/read of what may or may not happen. I think I remember reading that if all the ice melts completely the sea level will rise by 70m. Having said that I think all this talk of actual sea level rise causing havoc in our life time is poppycock. Yes it is rising at a greater rate in this century compared to the 19th century and 100,000 years ago it rose by about 5m but then receded, but what are we talking about here, at the moment it's something like 0.3mm per year maybe?

What do you think?

by lewlew100 » 28 Feb 2019, 18:26

So in 10 years it might be 3mm? More scaremongering? I blame Brexit. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by ChrisH » 28 Feb 2019, 19:06

I read somewhere that while the artic is melting the Antarctic is growing more ice in places.. so who knows what might happen. New Zealand might end up in an ice age while we become a smaller island lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by MartynG » 28 Feb 2019, 19:56

Ianfs wrote:
What do you think?

A bit of sea level increase would suit me very well. If we have an issue with water on the tidal river it is usually too little rather than too much.

But a fraction of a mm is hardy measurable .
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 01 Mar 2019, 12:31

So in 10 years it might be 3mm? More scaremongering? I blame Brexit.

Ha ha ha me too! :)

I read somewhere that while the artic is melting the Antarctic is growing more ice in places.. so who knows what might happen. New Zealand might end up in an ice age while we become a smaller island lol.

You never know Chris. :lol:

A bit of sea level increase would suit me very well. If we have an issue with water on the tidal river it is usually too little rather than too much.

But a fraction of a mm is hardy measurable .

Funny you should say that, I was down on the beach this morning and there were 2 m waves hitting the beach, how on Earth can you measure 0.3mm on such a moving surface?

by MartynG » 01 Mar 2019, 21:51

Ianfs wrote:
Funny you should say that, I was down on the beach this morning and there were 2 m waves hitting the beach, how on Earth can you measure 0.3mm on such a moving surface?

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/tide-gauge.html

.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by betty boop » 03 Mar 2019, 16:16

Haha I coulndt resist a good look at this given we live on a sea and fresh water flood plain, the thought of becoming a beach side property was too good to miss.

But what total B'k's even at a 2m rise in sea levels Which was not far short in the 2013 flood surge there was nothing in this region. My village is totally flat (despite being called Gedney Hill) is 100% below sea level yet they predict Farmers Sams house will be above flooding yet the rest of the land around him is under water. Most half intelligent people around here (there are a few - me and Geoff ) know we have some of the countries best flood defences and water way drainage there is, - if not the best because of the fear of flooding or a breach in the sea walls of the Wash, so any prediction is scare mongering at best.

The worrying thing is we happened to have the house deeds sent to us last month and mortgage company (amongst others) used this data for accurate predictions of risk to the house. Our report showed total doom and gloom of even a 1/2 m rise in levels along with 8/10 risk of biological/chemical contamination of water and land making it not fit for human settlement. The Chernobyl of the east of England. Whilst I would quite like to see the area uninhabitable we know for certain it will never happen in our life time anyway.

Whilst interesting and amusing I think we put way to much belief into reports of the future of our lifetime when recorded history is only 200 years tops, sea levels could have risen and fallen 1000's of times before that, esp. if they are quoting 3mm change in levels etc as Ian said. :lol: :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 04 Mar 2019, 09:54

MartynG wrote:
Ianfs wrote:
Funny you should say that, I was down on the beach this morning and there were 2 m waves hitting the beach, how on Earth can you measure 0.3mm on such a moving surface?

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/tide-gauge.html

.

I still don't get how 0.3mm can be measured on an infinitely moving surface like the sea, it's so tiny, or am I being a bit thick? :?

Next