  • In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Water gushing from exhaust pipe

by thecaptain » 23 Feb 2019, 19:57

Volvo penta aq131A

After the winter put it on muffs and started it up to find water gushing out the bottom of the exhaust. Any idea what would have caused this and how I go about sorting it? Wasn’t having this problem last summer and all I’ve done since then is rebuild the carb.

Video is here showing the problem https://youtu.be/WJ0WHzpfnjk

Thanks all
thecaptain
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Feb 2019, 19:45

by mlines » 24 Feb 2019, 10:34

Manifold rusted out plus any residual water in the system over winter freezing and cracking it.

Change the manifold.

These are service items on most raw water cooled engines. So need changing every 3 to 5 years depending on usage and storage.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 24 Feb 2019, 13:49

Looks like its coming out of the casting plug/bung.

Unfortunately as Martin says you are going to have to change out the manifold. If that plug is rusted then the rest of it is probably shot too, what you don't want is any water leaking into the valves.

by shibbs » 24 Feb 2019, 19:33

The manifold might just be rust or could’ve been down to frozen damage? If rust then an easy fix of a new manifold.
Did the engine get winterised before the cold arrived? If not might be worth checking the oil to make sure you don’t Have any cracks elsewhere that are allowing cooling water into the internals of the engine?

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair