  • In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Just a thought

by argonaut » 12 Nov 2018, 23:12

When you book your boat in for a service ... ever wondered how they look after it ...

https://www.facebook.com/bilalradwan.zo ... 719304807/
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by sprocker » 15 Nov 2018, 08:50

:o :o

I'm really glad that the yard I use is perfectly flat.......
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by Bigplumbs » 19 Nov 2018, 19:01

Why would you ever book a boat in for a service....... Don't you own any tools. Do it yourself then you know what you have done and the satisfaction is massive

Hate the word Service it means nothing and is just a money making phrase.

Now if someone says, Plug change, Gear lube change, Impeller change, fuel filter change I know what they will do. Service means nowt apart from a big bill usually
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 19 Nov 2018, 19:25

same reason as for booking my car in for a service.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Bigplumbs » 19 Nov 2018, 22:28

argonaut wrote:same reason as for booking my car in for a service.

I have several cars and never get any of them serviced. As I said it is just one big money making scam to rip off owners.

I change the oil occassionally and do the brakes when they need it myself. All of the rest is simply taking out perfectly good stuff that is working and replacing it with another bit you have had to buy often on a random yearly basis.

I had my last mondeo for 7 years never changed the oil once in over 70,000 miles. Bought it for £6500 and when it failed sold it for £150 scrap after selling the odd bit from it.

Soon most boaters will be taking out perfectly good impellors that have done next to no hours and replacing them with new ones. Utter nonsense. My 115 hp has now had the same impellor for 6 years and it still pumps with huge force

If you bother to replace one (an impellor) yourself look at the one you take out I garantee you, you will wonder why you are replacing it every year.

If people just pay it done then they will never know........... But of course they have a nice piece of paper telling them all is well............... Priceless

Do what needs doing when it needs doing don't just blindly do things annually out of habit, or worse follow the advice of people with a vested interest in giving the advice they do
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 19 Nov 2018, 23:19

I have changed plenty of impellers ...
Every year as part of service on outboards, I would drop gearbox to inspect ... not always change, but at least every other year.
Impellers are peanuts compared to cost of my boat .... and if it failed when I’m offshore ... would be pretty sick for not changing.
I treat my annual service as Preventative maintenance ... is exactly that .... prevents things going wrong.

On a new engine - fail to have the services carried out as per schedule and you void the warranty - certainly would not take that risk.

I have my car serviced as per intervals and same for my inboard, both are worth the investment.

Would I buy a boat without service history, and all dealer stamps in log book ...absolutely not .... can you ignore all recommended guidelines on servicing, of course you can ... your choice.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 06:47

argonaut wrote:I have changed plenty of impellers ...
Every year as part of service on outboards, I would drop gearbox to inspect ... not always change, but at least every other year.
Impellers are peanuts compared to cost of my boat .... and if it failed when I’m offshore ... would be pretty sick for not changing.
I treat my annual service as Preventative maintenance ... is exactly that .... prevents things going wrong.

On a new engine - fail to have the services carried out as per schedule and you void the warranty - certainly would not take that risk.

I have my car serviced as per intervals and same for my inboard, both are worth the investment.

Would I buy a boat without service history, and all dealer stamps in log book ...absolutely not .... can you ignore all recommended guidelines on servicing, of course you can ... your choice.

Yup the old if you dont get it serviced you will void the warranty ploy gets people every time........... They lay the trap and people walk straight into it.

One of the reasons I never buy new.

Then there is the cost of the impeller arguement........... The cost is not the issue it is if it is required or not. I have proved by real world data that it is not necessary every year. Then there is of course the damage that can be caused by pulling things that are fine apart just to look at themto look at them. Alao the cost to many is not insignificant. Also when impellors fail in my experience it is gradual and can be spotted by the tell tale getting weaker.

The old service stamp in the book arguement. These can easily be forged and offten are, or the work is not done. Paperwork is just that paperwork. If people believe it then good for them I say, but in my view it means very little.

Those reccomended guidelines on servicing would they be the ones written by the people generally selling the service products...... Should make you think.

I have worked for years and years in the building industry carrying out work on buildings for clients who seldom listen to common sense in stead they have work done that is totally unecessary under that other great invented con called preventative maintenance.

As you say it a choice so carry on wasting your money, time and the worlds rescources because of habit or OCD and repeating what you did last year.

I think it is actually better to experiment/test and learn from the results and do whork whan it is actually necessary
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 07:04

Another excellent moto to live by is

if it ain't broken, don't break it!

In my view this applies to many things including boat maintenance, car maintenance, building maintenance and upgrading software in devices
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 07:23

Look what there is on ebay. Bet you can buy them for boat engines

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SERVICE ... :rk:3:pf:0
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by shibbs » 20 Nov 2018, 12:02

Each to their own.
I certainly don’t change items every year, but, I will inspect and decide and come to a certain point i will replace certain items, for example, this year I will do bellows, gimbol( as it will be apart and accessible) and impeller.

My point for changing them, and it is after 3 years, not the 2 that is recommended, is for peace of mind. If a bellow does fail while sat on its mooring, best case, I get ingress of water, worse case it sinks the boat. I have inspected them and there doesn’t look anything wrong with them but why risk it.

Also, as Argonaut says, if things like this fail when at sea then it is no fun.

As for servicing, your call that you ‘don’t like the word’, but that’s what it is and known as so that’s what people will say.
I change oil, filter, fuel filter and anodes in the boat every year at the end of the season, among other things. That’s just what I do, for peace of mind again if nothing else.

Now no doubt you’ll be back and shoot me down for this plums but, it seems you have great pleasure in shoving your opinion down peoples throats about why people should or shouldn’t be doing things.

If people believe that keeping something ‘serviced’ and up to date with maintenance then so be it.

I personally think that preventative maintence makes perfect sense, but that is just me.

Likewise, if someone doesn’t want to service anything and take it as it comes then that’s also their call.

No doubt though, it will have a knock on effect come Time to sell.
I certainly wouldn’t buy a boat without any proof of upkeep, whether that be ’proffessionally’ or personally maintained. But that is just me.

Each to their own.
;)

Next