  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

General Sailing Forum

Passage plan - sailing

by ColinR » 29 Aug 2018, 14:13

2 1/2 hours :shock:

That's cracking on a bit. When we were planning the Guernsey trip I was allowing for 4 hours. Mind you that was from Southampton so deduct an hour to the Needles I suppose.

Not taken with the romance of the sailing thing then and the challenge of getting another 0.001 knot out of it by fiddling with the sheets.

I still think there's a level of satisfaction in travelling 150 miles there and back for free. ;)
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Ianfs » 30 Aug 2018, 15:43

2 1/2 hours
That's cracking on a bit. When we were planning the Guernsey trip I was allowing for 4 hours. Mind you that was from Southampton so deduct an hour to the Needles I suppose.

No that's about right, its almost exactly 60nm from Bridge Buoy to Braye Harbour, Alderney, so at about 25knts average, 2 hrs is 50nm, the extra 10 nm is a bit less than 30mins but its there or there abouts. :D

I still think there's a level of satisfaction in travelling 150 miles there and back for free.

You're right, but it is very very slow and a little tedious at times. Max comfortable speed from that boat is about 9knts but generally 7knts. I think she will go a little faster but the wind would make it very uncomfortable. I take your point about adjusting for minute reward but it is very easy to lose the wind when not trimmed correctly and therefore the adjustments can make a huge difference over a longer passage. As you know from your sailing days Colin it's quite easy with either a wind shift or increase/decrease to lose or gain 4-5knts.

I still haven't had time to edit all the footage as my daughter and family are down on holiday. :shock:

by ColinR » 31 Aug 2018, 10:52

You want to try one of these :lol:

User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by betty boop » 03 Sep 2018, 14:44

sounds exciting Ian - I'm definitely in for the taster session suffering from facebook envy over the weekend, for me 2.5 hrs vs 11hr is easily countered on the fuel cost. £120-150 each way (cheaper on the return with tax free I assume ) vs potentially nothing. + they had to book a hotel/B&B vs freebie on board. in the end my wallet speaks and if your retired what's the hurry? albeit a cruiser has more deck space but all a personal choice I have few years in the near future set aside to try.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 04 Sep 2018, 11:44

It was extremely exciting Ian, except if you get sea sick. :?

they had to book a hotel/B&B vs freebie on board.

Yes thats true except they may have chosen the better option for the evening. Alderney harbour is not very well protected if the wind shifts North and pushes swells into the harbour. Which is basically what it did all night long. :shock: :lol: So imagine, even in a 45 footer rolling with the swells so much so that it rolls you from one side of the berth to the other, oh and did I mention the waves slapping on the hull. :(

by betty boop » 06 Sep 2018, 09:10

Ianfs wrote:It was extremely exciting Ian, except if you get sea sick. :?

they had to book a hotel/B&B vs freebie on board.

Yes thats true except they may have chosen the better option for the evening. Alderney harbour is not very well protected if the wind shifts North and pushes swells into the harbour. Which is basically what it did all night long. :shock: :lol: So imagine, even in a 45 footer rolling with the swells so much so that it rolls you from one side of the berth to the other, oh and did I mention the waves slapping on the hull. :(

I can image, Friday night we were in Poole harbour - flat calm around the back of the oil field - Lovely until 10pm some idiot decided to play drum & Bass (that's a kind of music - stretching the term music to its limts) through the site tannoy - so calm water no sleep. Saturday night we refrained from the music and instead went to the shelter of Brownsea island, the wind turned about 10pm and I can say its not too comfortable in a cuddy cabin trying to sleep hitting you head on the roof with every other wave. at midnight I'd had enough and we de-cloaked the cockpit and very carefully motored to the RNLI collage pontoons (very scary but doable thanks to GPS) - same wind but it was flat calm and most enjoyable for a last night in the wild before recovering. The yachts stayed out though so more comfortable than a cuddy at least.

and never been sea sick, I'm one of the lucky ones
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Previous