  • In total there are 71 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

Motor Boat Forum

TAMD41P oil pressure sensor

by Rob999 » 08 Aug 2018, 09:47

Good morning all. I'm not particularly mechanically minded so please excuse what is probably a daft question!! Does the above sensor work/fail or is there some middle ground where it could malfunction giving false readings? Some background. Sea trialled my new to me boat about three months ago. Oil pressure was 30psi hot idle, 60psi wot. This seems to be the norm from what I've read elsewhere. No smoke of any colour, hours unknown but a 1998 boat. Not used until last Friday as waiting to obtain Cyprus boat license. Did a couple of hours with an instructor practicing stern to mooring and had boat lifted, antifouled and engine serviced during that three month period. Took it out for a couple of hours last Friday and oil pressure had halved, showing 15/30psi. No smoke, no alarm, engine temp normal 80/85c. Engineer is prophasising doom, engine rebuild etc. I was a bit shocked and didn't really take it all in. Now had time to think about it and want to go back to him with some ideas. Would it be sensible to change sensor, check connections on gauge, pressure test etc before arriving at his conclusion? Sorry for the long winded post but I am worried I could end up with a huge bill for work that may not be necessary.
Rob999
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 16 Apr 2017, 18:15

by Ianfs » 08 Aug 2018, 13:13

Hi Rob

Did you have the engines surveyed by an engineer when you did your sea trial? If you did then it's an awfully short period of time for one to have to be rebuilt.

I would have thought the engineer you're now chatting too would have recommended a sensor change as a matter of course.

However, do you know if it has it got the correct Volvo oil and filter? If not then change the oil and filter straight away for the recommended parts, I know these engines are sensitive to oil if its the wrong make or type.

Then change the sensor and check the oil cooler it may have a blockage so will need a clean.

Not really sure after that.

by Rob999 » 08 Aug 2018, 19:14

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply. I had a (different) engineer with me for the sea trial who was satisfied with the various readings and his visual look at the engine both on the pontoon and at sea. I have checked the invoice for the service etc and oil and filter were Volvo. I will go back to him and have the sensor replaced and check connections on the gauge. Whilst he's at it he can check the oil cooler as well.

I'll post the outcome when the above has been completed.

Rob
Rob999
Able Rate
Able Rate