  • In total there are 43 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Glastron

by argonaut » 11 Jul 2018, 21:12

Local boat dealer had been pushing Rinker for years.
No longer selling Rinker and so it seems nor is any other UK dealer ... have Rinker folded?

Anyway the point of the post ... Glastron ....
Now back in late 70s early 80s Glastron metal flake finish boats were a big name ... used for example in James Bond films.

Anyway said local dealer now selling Glastrons .... didn’t realise they were still being made.

Anybody any comments on the 2018 range ? are we taking Bayliner end of the market ?
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 12 Jul 2018, 08:47

As far as I can find out, Gibbs Quay Boat Sales in Poole and South Westerly Yacht Brokers in Plymouth are still Rinker dealers. Rinker was originally taken over by Nautic Global Inc (the sixth largest boat manufacturer in the US) then in 2015 Bennington Marine bought the group and seems to be still running it with Kim Slocum at the helm. From what I can find out, Kim started with the Rinker company when he was 18 and rose to MD not too long afterwards, he left to pursue his career and was invited back by Bennington recently. No signs of any further issues.

Glastron are now owned by Beneteau along with Four Winns, Wellcraft and Scarab. They were all owned by the Genmar Group which went bankrupt a few years ago then a company called Platinum bought them and re floated them (ha ha) after the collapse and now Beneteau own them.

Hope this helps. :D

by argonaut » 12 Jul 2018, 09:20

Local to me Cambrian Marine were a Rinker dealer - don't even list the name now.
Gibbs don't have any Rinkers ... either as new stock or used ....

Looks like Rinker are no more in UK
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by mlines » 12 Jul 2018, 11:03

James has a friend who is a Glastron dealer with stock burning a hole in his budget so might be worth speaking to James

And if they are still made in Minnesota then watch out for 25% duty uplift due to the tariff wars instigated by Trump
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by betty boop » 12 Jul 2018, 12:17

nearly bought a Glastron - if I recall they pushed they were the only boat builder to use robots for glass laying - giving a precise calculated structural finish for less £ or $ but the overall finish was less than the maxum I thought was so went there instead but that was a few years ago. Having said that I bought a boat built by muppets so robot could be an improvement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 12 Jul 2018, 15:51

I did call Cambrian ... hardly surprising they say Glastron much better build quality than Rinker .... :P
Their new owner Jennau has turned the company around etc. etc.

I may go down and take a look ..... they are only 10 minutes from me.

Be interested if anybody has any comments of first hand experience of the new Glastrons
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 12 Jul 2018, 16:21

Their new owner Jennau has turned the company around etc. etc.

I think that may be Beneteau Rick. :D

by argonaut » 12 Jul 2018, 16:25

you are right .... not sure why I wrote that.
Jennau has turned the company around etc. etc.

Beneteau do own Jeanneau, maybe that was my Freudian moment, plus Cambrian also sell Jenneau boats.
Last edited by argonaut on 12 Jul 2018, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 12 Jul 2018, 16:44

I think that may be Beneteau do own Jennau,

Yes you're right they bought Jeanneau in 1995. :D

maybe that was my Freudian moment

:lol: :lol: I have lots of those too. :lol: :lol:

by Xboatboyx » 13 Jul 2018, 08:08

argonaut wrote: Anybody any comments on the 2018 range ? are we taking Bayliner end of the market ?

I think they are of a similar quality to bayliner having been on a few. Glastron seem to be going for the Retro/modern look although I’m not sure how well they will age given some of their colourful Gelcoat/interior.

Would I trade in the Regal/Monterey for a new bayliner or glastron? Nope. Once you’ve had a better quality boat there’s no going back. Although if I had to choose I would probably go with bayliner as easier to sell on.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

Next