• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:37
  • In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Motor Boat Forum

trailer AGAIN

by betty boop » 05 Jul 2018, 19:52

group ideas please, I cant quite see how to solve this one, may be im blind by looking too much.

you'll see from the pic's my shiney new winch post. this was needed for 2 reasons, the old one was being pulled over when winching the boat up and the short post was pulling the boat downward into the rollers without pulling forward. hopefully this has solved some of that but I cant stop the boat being pulled down at the front. the pressure on the winch strap is way to much and the hull has bent the arms and spindle of the first raised snub roller in front of the winch.

I was planning a set of new rollers just in front of the last set to pick her up off the keel rollers but I dont want to slash out and it not work. plus a set of 4 on a stem may not add the support that far back to be located on the last cross beam of the trailer.

I know Martin has larger wheels so will look for that ASAP but any other thoughts? how to support the front of the boat and pick it up a little. You'll see it is far to close to the trailer and ive already lost 3 spindles on keel rollers bending under the weight.

bit difficult to explain so ask away if its not clear.
Attachments
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 13742 times
IMG_2742.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 13742 times
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 13742 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 05 Jul 2018, 21:36

Hi Ian, sorry to hear that you are having problems. To my (small) mind the winch needs to be about as high as you can get it and the bow keel roller as far back and as low as possible, but I am probably wrong!!! Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 06 Jul 2018, 07:02

I agree with lewlew that the winch should be raised, however from the photos it looks like the roller attached the the winch is about as high as it will go before interfering with the tow eye, thus restricting this movement, maybe another inch or so.

Certainly don't move the front keel roller backwards any further, if you do it will take the weight off the other keel roller and the bow/keel may cut into the roller when towing and potentially damage the hull on the metal parts.

My first thoughts are to mount a dumbbell roller where the keel roller is situated in front of the block of rollers then adjust the front keel roller to compensate for the lift. Also maybe moving the winch forward by a few inches on its stem would potentially lift the winch.

I can't see from the photos but do the rear rollers swing or are they fixed, because this will have a lot to do with whether you are able to lift the bow.

by betty boop » 06 Jul 2018, 10:58

Ianfs wrote:I agree with lewlew that the winch should be raised, however from the photos it looks like the roller attached the the winch is about as high as it will go before interfering with the tow eye, thus restricting this movement, maybe another inch or so.

Certainly don't move the front keel roller backwards any further, if you do it will take the weight off the other keel roller and the bow/keel may cut into the roller when towing and potentially damage the hull on the metal parts.

My first thoughts are to mount a dumbbell roller where the keel roller is situated in front of the block of rollers then adjust the front keel roller to compensate for the lift. Also maybe moving the winch forward by a few inches on its stem would potentially lift the winch.

I can't see from the photos but do the rear rollers swing or are they fixed, because this will have a lot to do with whether you are able to lift the bow.

Fixed Ian, like bunks but rollers, damage is already underway with the hull on metal parts, damaged just as we bought her, with the front keel roller snapping under the weight. that has been replaced but the replacement is going the same way. same with the snub roller under the winch. the only option for height is to raise the winch above the tow eye, which I thought would work until I thought about the last few inches and how it would pick up not pull in.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 06 Jul 2018, 13:12

I do not like to argue with the Captain, but I think that the "bow" roller is really a keel roller and in its current position if in contact with the boat would be trying to lift the bow. If that roller is only acting as a snubber fair enough, but if it is supporting the boat it will be trying to lift the boat. My comments were that that looler should be lower and further back, basically like another keel roller , sharing the keel roller loads, not lifting the boat and therefore reducing (or removing) the loads on the other rollers. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 06 Jul 2018, 13:23

Thinking about it , the best test for what I said would be to quite simply try completely removing that bow/keel roller, but I still think the winch needs to be pulling a bit higher. Fitting an extended winch post snubber may overcome the the towing eys position difficulties. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 06 Jul 2018, 13:53

My comments were that that looler should be lower and further back, basically like another keel roller , sharing the keel roller loads, not lifting the boat and therefore reducing (or removing) the loads on the other rollers. Geoff.

Yes I think I might have misread your suggestion. Do you mean like this ....

IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg (293.52 KiB) Viewed 13717 times

by lewlew100 » 06 Jul 2018, 14:29

Yes Ian, anything to stop the bow wanting to lift. Support - yes, lift - no. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by ChrisH » 06 Jul 2018, 22:00

Here is my setup on my bowrider before unsold her. Seemed to work ok. Not sure if this helps.
Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 06 Jul 2018, 22:00

Here is my setup on my bowrider before unsold her. Seemed to work ok. Not sure if this helps.
Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH