• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:09
  • In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

General Sailing Forum

Help !

by NickG » 31 Jan 2017, 21:01

Hi I have a good condition GP14 in full working order however with us having young children we think we might be better with a cabin cruiser style boat. My question is would it be possible to make my GP14 into one and lose the sailing aspect ? Would it be possible and would it be stable ? Do you think I'd be best to sell what I have and just buy what I'm after ?

Many thanks

Nick
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by Ianfs » 01 Feb 2017, 21:34

Do you think I'd be best to sell what I have and just buy what I'm after ?

Yes absolutely. You wont be able to turn a GP14 class sailing dinghy into a cabin cruiser. You could certainly put a canvas cuddy at the bow and use the outboard, but it wouldn't be the same.

Learning to sail and teaching children to sail is an experience you will always remember and so will they. However trying to convert a sailing dinghy into something it is not designed for will also embed itself in your memory.

I would sell the GP14 as is and look for something like a Norman, Shetland or the like.

by NickG » 04 Feb 2017, 20:49

Sound like I should get it up for sale ! Thank you for the advice. I think sailing is definitely something we will do in the future I just need something at the moment we can just take out on the water and have fun and a nice day out !
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by NickG » 05 Feb 2017, 19:36

So it's up for sale now loads of interest but no buyer as yet I've also put it on here so hopefully it'll sell soon and my new adventure can begin
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by Ianfs » 05 Feb 2017, 21:28

Hi Nick

First of all, I was a bit surprised at how cheap your for sale price is.

Do you know much about her history and do you have any idea why she hasn't got her build number on her sails?

by NickG » 05 Feb 2017, 22:47

Yes as I said in the write I have all the history of the renovation and detailed write up as for the numbers would they be on the other sail that's not shown ? Would that make a difference to saleability? I don't about price on these to be honest where should I be ? I've had a look at some "project" cabin boats and they are anywhere between £500 - £1000 so that's where I pitched it ? Any help is would obviously greatly appreciated
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by NickG » 05 Feb 2017, 23:00

Sorry I've just read my response, I am not that illiterate ! I wasn't paying it the correct attention. I hope you can understand it!
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27