• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:41

General Sailing Forum

Test launch !

by NickG » 12 Sep 2016, 21:11

Hi this may well be another daft question however I need to ask !
Does anyone know of anywhere in or near West Yorkshire where I might be able to launch my gp14 without having to register and have insurance and all that as I just want to literally put it in the water to make sure it doesn't sink as if it does that will be a winter of repairs ahead !

Many thanks
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by ChrisH » 12 Sep 2016, 21:20

Sorry don't know where you can launch. But when I had a sailing dinghy I never had insurance when I was sailing. Even when we took her to France. Once you put an outboard on the back then for me it becomes more dangerous and should be covered. No idea if I am right but just how I have handled things in the past.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by NickG » 12 Sep 2016, 21:35

Thank you for the reply I'm not totally ofay with everything I just read the qualifying details of Windermere which is where I'm hoping to go and it seemed to insist on the insurance but I have no idea ! I think I might be as well giving them a ring. The reason for the question is I didn't really want to go all that way and be surrounded by people who know what they are doing watching on as I go down with the ship so to speak (however funny it would be to watch) !
I will update on here with the outcome

Thanks again
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by Ianfs » 12 Sep 2016, 22:03

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Most people who boat have been beginners at some stage and have also screwed up too and quite a few would be more than willing to offer advice and help out, just be honest.

I would suggest that if you are able, launch the dinghy and let her float for a while whilst holding the bow line, you'll soon know if she's shipping water.

by NickG » 13 Sep 2016, 15:37

Once again great advice being new to this I'm very unsure what's the best course of action. I think your probably right I will just bite the bullet and go for it - what's the worst that could happen !
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27