• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:53

General Sailing Forum

Public liability insurance

by NickG » 11 Sep 2016, 12:13

Hi can anyone give me any advice on public liability insurance ? I need it to take my gp14 out. I have had a look and every quote I try get asks me for my business and name details ???
Does boat insurance cover public liability or is that a separate thing ?

I'm seriously lost with this any help would be greatly received

Many thanks
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by ChrisH » 11 Sep 2016, 12:40

Nick. You just need to take out suitable marine boat insurance. If you speak with any broker they will be able to advise. It won't cost you much and will give you cover for hitting someone's gin palace or running over a swimmer. I use Porthcawl insurance. Very helpful guys indeed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by NickG » 11 Sep 2016, 12:52

Thank you for the info I will have a ring around do I need to ask them if it covers public liability or is that a given with a boat policy ?

Many thanks
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by Ianfs » 11 Sep 2016, 13:56

Hello Nick

do I need to ask them if it covers public liability or is that a given with a boat policy ?

I think this is what Chris meant by hitting someone's Gin Palace or running over a swimmer. :)

When you get a quote ask them what you are covered for and mention any concerns you may have about liabilities. They might send you a copy via e-mail of their coverage.

by NickG » 11 Sep 2016, 14:33

Thanks again lanfs once again helping me through this muddle of questions I have ! Did you see the one I asked about the seagull power ? Just wondered if you knew what speed I'd be looking at with one before I go get one !

Thanks again in advance !
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by antlouhay » 11 Sep 2016, 17:55

I use CETA insurance , marine section

https://www.insuremyboat.co.uk/

please note .... I must declare the owner / director of CETA is a personal friend of mine
antlouhay
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Oxfordshire,

by NickG » 11 Sep 2016, 18:31

Thank you for that I will give them a go
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27

by Ianfs » 11 Sep 2016, 20:17

Did you see the one I asked about the seagull power ?

It would be a guess really but looking at the types a Featherweight or a Forty Plus, anything from 1.5 to 3hp. You wont get much speed , say 3-4 knts and on a sea you will have to watch the tide wherever you are, but on Windermere this will be perfect for pottering.

by NickG » 11 Sep 2016, 22:45

Once again thank you for getting back to me all your advice is very well received I now feel I'm in a much better position
NickG
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 22:27