• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:46

General Sailing Forum

A few days out in the Solent

by annageek » 22 May 2016, 23:05

It's been a while since I posted about our escapades in our new boat, Hantu Biru.

We've had our problems.... a broken keel put pay to a few weeks sailing. Two lifts out at Kemps Quay to remove the lifting centre plate, then again to refit the new stainless one that I designed and had waterjet cut from 316 stainless steel saw us back on the water - that was until the injection pump from the unheard of (and therefore almost impossible to get spare parts for) BMW D7 engine decided to disintegrate into a thousand pieces on the first proper outing since the keel was repaired! A rather expensive call to Sea Start (who were fantastic) got us back to our berth, and we spent the next fortnight sorting out the dammed engine! Nevertheless, we've managed to rack up over 300 miles of sailing, and it's been fantastic!

This weekend, we've been out everyday. Friday evening saw us heading out the Beaulieu river for the night. Saturday was spent running on the tide across to Portsmouth before heading back down to Southampon. Finally, today, we thought we'd take a drift down Southampotn Water in the light winds, only to find a decent bit of wind just past the Hamble that allowed us to fight the tide back to Town Quay with relative ease.

Despite being novices to sailing, our Competent Crew sail training and 300 odd miles of experience has lead to a sense of adventure (or a sense of complacency, at least) meaning that despite the F6 gusting F7 that we saw on both Friday and Saturday, we were eager to get out and see how Hantu Biru, the Snapdragon 23 would cope! With two reefs in the main sail, and a half-furled Genoa, we managed 7kts of boat speed when close hauled, with a decent 30 degrees of heel. It's fair to say we were pushing Hantu Biru to her limits! It's definitely the most scared I've ever been aboard any boat, but for me, it's also the most fun I've ever had on the water too. Exhilarating does not even begin to describe! Having kept up with 40ft cruiser-racers by clinging to the main sheet to trim the main within what seemed like being inches by broaching, I feel like we've both learned to sail, and I can't get enough of it!

I was worried that the 'low' speeds of sail boats would make me feel underwhelmed. However, although I'm used to thrashing through the Solent chop at 30kts in the Fletcher, I'd dare say sailing is definitely more exciting! Sacrilegious though it may be to say around here, but just look!

And various photos from the last couple of weekends

Calm HB.jpeg
Calm HB.jpeg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 9820 times

Calm morning.jpeg
Calm morning.jpeg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 9820 times

Goosewinged.jpeg
Goosewinged.jpeg (160.71 KiB) Viewed 9820 times

HB heel.jpeg
HB heel.jpeg (102.88 KiB) Viewed 9820 times

HM_Moody.jpeg
HM_Moody.jpeg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 9820 times
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Ianfs » 24 May 2016, 11:57

These are great photos Anna and a cracking video, thank you for posting. My goodness the sailing forum is getting busy. :D

Has the engine actually been fixed now and did you get any help from PBO?

by ChrisH » 24 May 2016, 19:07

Thought you won a brand new boat. With those major problems ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ian h » 24 May 2016, 20:32

Glad to see you are enjoying the "Dark Side"
ian h

by annageek » 25 May 2016, 16:30

Has the engine actually been fixed now and did you get any help from PBO?

Yep. It wasn't as big a problem as was first thought - essentially, the fuel injection pump had disintegrated. Getting hold of a new one was easier said than done, as its an old engine, and spare parts are, in some cases non-existent now. Also, the Germany based supplier said they had one in stock, but I'm not sure they really did, and had to go hunting for one. Still, got it fitted, and after hours of adjustment, finally got the engine running again!

The guys at PBO have been great, and even started looking into the option of sourcing a new engine as part of an article on re-engining yachts... but this was before the engine was fixed, so when I got the engine going, I politely refused the offer, as they'd already given me a free boat!

They also leant me a 4hp outboard to stick on the outboard bracket for a little while. It's not a great solution as it's very difficult to control the boat into a marina berth when the throttle and gear controls are nowhere near where you want them to be!

We've still got this borrowed outboard, as a 'just in case' we have any gremlins with the repaired engine, but after a few hours of running it, all seems well (touch wood), so that outboard has perched redundantly on the back.... except for the time when I thought I'd put both engines on full throttle to see wat a mighty combined total of 10hp would do to boat speed. Only an ex motorboater would have a twin engined yacht!! Incidentally, it turns out that the 6hp inboard manages to push HB along at hull speed in the flat calm, so the extra 4hp of the outboard only adds an extra fraction of a knot of speed for a whole load of noise, smoke and rig shaking commotion.

Thought you won a brand new boat. With those major problems ?

Definitely not a new boat... newly refurbished (rebuilt, more like). It's a 1964 built boat with a 1981 built inboard engine.

Glad to see you are enjoying the "Dark Side"

Haha, definitely. The Fletcher was super good fun, don't get me wrong, and I have some incredible memories because of her, but I'd go as far as to say that so far, I'm enjoying sailing more. Boating for me has always been about the journey and not the destination, and HB makes the journey a much more involved. Not for everyone, I grant you, but for me, it's amazing!

Oh... and no more range anxiety, and nervously tapping of the fuel gauge (HB doesn't have one for starters!) on longer passages in case the gauge is lying to me!
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by shibbs » 25 May 2016, 16:47

Glad you got it all sorted, sounds like it's been fun really..!
here's to a great summer of use! 8-)

Return to General Sailing Forum