• Boat Banter

It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:28
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

General Sailing Forum

PBO - Cor Blimey!

by annageek » 23 Feb 2016, 23:10

You always assume that nobody really wins these things, until you do!

Agreed! And I can assure you that even when you've found out you've won, you still never quite believe it! Even now, I think I'm dreaming a bit!

Wow!! Well done. What a result, as long as you don't start preaching about giving way to your sails now!!! :lol:

I've been practising my disapproving arm waving technique ready for you lot to go tearing on past!

Is this the hint about a change that could be interpreted from earlier posts, well done we look forward to bouncing you in our wake!

Yep - I found out a little while ago, and although there wasn't an embargo on me telling people, I dodn't want to rain on PBO's parade... afterall, they had just spent four years doing up a boat that they've given me for free (well - for the cost of a couple of pints and a pub lunch on handover day).

The crazy thing is though (which you can read about in the PBO article), the week I found out I'd won, we'd decided to sell the Fletcher anyway. Not because we wanted to, but it we knew we'd never want to sell her, and we'd have to make the tough decision sometime. In the meantime, we planned to spend the summer on the water in school boats, learning to sail, before buying a mid-twenty foot yacht. Some would say pure good luck, others would say fate!
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Dave » 24 Feb 2016, 07:42

Blimey talk about "Meant to be"......well pleased for you and always nice to know that somebody does actually win things...now wheres that Euromillions ticket..... :)
Voodoo Doll - Sea Ray Sundancer
Dave
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

by betty boop » 24 Feb 2016, 09:24

Dave wrote:Blimey talk about "Meant to be"......well pleased for you and always nice to know that somebody does actually win things...now wheres that Euromillions ticket..... :)

don't say that, last weeks £34 mil was won by a couple a few villages away, and last nights Euro IF Id used my usual numbers (kids birthdays etc) I would have had 5 numbers inc bonus balls Not that I care (much :( ) as I only do either lottery on BIG wins and £11mil's not enough :o . SO Following Annas win I immediately entered the Absolute radio £29k leap year give away. LUCK IS INTHE AIR - somewhere.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 24 Feb 2016, 11:43

Where are you going to keep her?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by annageek » 24 Feb 2016, 20:58

Where are you going to keep her?

We've managed to get a berth at Town Quay in Southampton. We've had her down there since Thursday last week and have visited her a few times - including tonight where we've just got back from taking her out for a quick hour or so!

Even since we've moved to Ferndown in Dorset, it's only a 30 minute drive away, and in traffic (such as this evening, 40 minutes. We were actually going to keep her in Poole, but it normally takes longer than 30 mins to cover the 8 miles to get there! In the summer, that could quite easily stretch to about 90 minutes! Also, we'd have had to keep her on a swinging mooring - which although cheaper, is infinitely less practical, and the boat would ger less use.

We've only had her 6 days, but we've already spent time aboard on 4 of those days... even if it was just a case of sitting down below, making endless cups of tea on the stove and reading books on sail trim from cover to cover!

I've a feeling the novelty isn't going to wear off any time soon, either! So overjoyed!
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by sprocker » 25 Feb 2016, 07:45

Many congratulations Anna, I'm chuffed to bits for you!

It's obvious that you're very enthusiastic about boats in general, and it's perfect that she should go to a good home that will use her and look after her.

Does this mean that very shortly you will be the first ever poster in the Sailing Forum section??
sprocker
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Gazjen » 26 Feb 2016, 01:38

We have a Sailing section?? Who knew :lol:
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Previous

Return to General Sailing Forum

User Menu