  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

General Sailing Forum

Bavaria 32

by MartynG » 30 Apr 2019, 18:58

Any good ?
Image

A good friend has recently bought this.

.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 01 May 2019, 09:59

Hi Martyn

I know a little about Bavaria's, they seem to be favoured amongst the cruising/liveaboard fraternity and are laid out very well. Their yachts are well made good blue water cruisers and can be adapted reasonably easily i.e. water makers etc. I think their yachts are built to a high standard but I understand that some of their motor cruisers suffered from interior cracking which some have thought was due to lack of interior structural rigidity. Although in my experience the ones I've looked at have been fine.

The 32 is a well laid out boat for its size, early boats have a sugar scoop for bathing and tender which can be a bit of a pain, but only if you intend to jump in the water a lot. I think the later ones had a let down platform. Only one head for a 6 people might be a bit friendly but it would be hard to fit another without loosing space. I would be interested to know why the bow fender has been attached, is it genuine, i.e. good protection, or is it hiding a nasty gash?

Bavaria have been through some turbulent times recently although they are not the only boat builders to suffer from this as we all know. They acquired Nautitech Catamarans a while ago but last year went into administration. I'm not sure without looking it up but I think they had a new investor and have very recently have another team in place.

by MartynG » 01 May 2019, 19:07

Ianfs wrote: I would be interested to know why the bow fender has been attached, is it genuine, i.e. good protection, or is it hiding a nasty gash?
.

The bow fender looks new - it is secured by ropes which you may be able to see in the picture.
Not sure if the fender was fixed by my friend - he was not there , we just went for along as and looked from the outside , as we were in the area.

I understand it has two cabins
One at the stern starboard side with the heads on the port side. So a four person boat, for sleeping on, in practice.
We had six sleeping on our two cabin boat once - but we do know the other two couples very well and had access to shore facilities. A one night only event .
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by shibbs » 01 May 2019, 20:41

I was going to say the only Bavaria I had heard of were the motor boats, I didn’t know it was the same company.
And I know nothing at all about boats with sails. :D
Looks
Very nice in the picture though.

by Ianfs » 03 May 2019, 06:36

Yes Bavaria are predominantly yacht builders and are the same company which build motor cruisers. :)

I hadn't noticed the ropes on the bow fender, looks like it's a quick remove, that's a nice touch.

It is generally a 4 berth but typically with most yachts it has the facility to accommodate 2 more in the dining area. They class it as a 6 berth, but as you said Martyn, you would all have to know each other well. :D

by MartynG » 14 May 2019, 07:09

The chief officer and I have been invited to go sailing on said boat in mid June. We can only hope for good sailing weather - by which I mean very slight sea and not too windy !
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by shibbs » 16 May 2019, 08:35

Sounds nice. Where will you be heading to / from?

by MartynG » 16 Jan 2020, 23:32

Sorry I did not respond.
We did go for a few days in June. The weather was not great but okay , with coats to keep us warm.
The boat is at Neyland . Our longest trip was Neyland against the wind to Dale where we found a spare mooring buoy and then and back with the wind so much less drama.
The landscape is really nice , reminded us of Lefkada .... but colder.
I will not be able to persuade my present chief officer that we should have a yacht .,,,, we will have to stick with motor boating.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by shibbs » 17 Jan 2020, 11:42

MartynG wrote:I will not be able to persuade my present chief officer that we should have a yacht .,,,, we will have to stick with motor boating.

Glad to hear it. :lol:

Having said that, as said in another post a while back, I recently did some sailing and really did enjoy it. But, all the while I can afford the fuel, I will be sticking to motor boat for no other reason than I like to get where I’m going to do stuff other than to spend the day getting to where I want to go.

by MartynG » 21 Jan 2020, 22:15

I really enjoy the journey . The destination is just a bonus. Journeys are usually quicker and cheaper by means other than a boat.

Some destinations are just a convenient place to stop - a means to an end ..... eg .Grimsby
https://youtu.be/pnRs6JtqgjQ
http://www.hcagrimsby.co.uk/
User avatar
MartynG