• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:08
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

General Sailing Forum

Windy today..

by Ianfs » 16 Mar 2019, 14:58

So if on average your mono hull sails at 60% wind speed it would have taken just over an hour to get from Weymouth to Lymington this morning. :lol:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 16 Mar 2019, 20:38

What is all this sailing talk... :lol:
Are you a converted man Ian? :o
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by shibbs » 16 Mar 2019, 20:40

( Not sure i’d have really liked to have been out in either power or sail boat today though!)
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by MartynG » 17 Mar 2019, 09:10

The river here is a little flooded - no one is going anywhere (I hope).
Although not quite so bad this morning the wind yesterday was very strong. On board a boat moored to a pontoon was almost like being at sea.

I know little about sailing but understand too much wind risks breaking things so is almost as bad as no wind.
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 17 Mar 2019, 11:39

shibbs wrote:What is all this sailing talk... :lol:
Are you a converted man Ian? :o

Ha ha no Shibbs. Still an oil burner. Just being silly, it must have been at least 65mph on the cliff top yesterday, difficult to stand.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by Ianfs » 17 Mar 2019, 11:41

MartynG wrote:The river here is a little flooded - no one is going anywhere (I hope).
Although not quite so bad this morning the wind yesterday was very strong. On board a boat moored to a pontoon was almost like being at sea.

I know little about sailing but understand too much wind risks breaking things so is almost as bad as no wind.

Absolutely, it would have been madness to have gone out.
Where was the river flooded Martyn?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by MartynG » 18 Mar 2019, 08:12

Ianfs wrote:Where was the river flooded Martyn?

The river Trent has been running high all week . Not burst its banks as far as I know . I have seen a lot worse .
The week ahead looks better weather so I think we will be back to normal by next weekend.
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 19 Mar 2019, 12:41

Martyn G wrote

The week ahead looks better weather so I think we will be back to normal by next weekend.

Yes agreed and if it holds there is some very good news this week. I don't know how you guys read the weather but I always check out the Surface Pressure charts, they tell you so much.
High Pressure coming in from the SW Atlantic, due Thursday and hopefully staying for the weekend, centring on Brittany and covering the whole of Southern England up to the Humber and beyond. That's after an Occluded Front (Warm and Cold, Cold overtaking Warm) and Weakening Front pass over although there is another High pushing a Cold Front in by the weekend, which may or may not materialise. High Pressure in the Northern Hemisphere circulate clockwise, winds may be from the West in Middle England so hopefully flat seas in the North Sea. :)

Interesting fact, in the British Isles average sea level is measured at 1013.25 millibars. One millibar can equal 1cm of sea level, consequently at nearly 23 millibars above (1036 mb, the predicted High this week) sea level may drop by 23cm's. I spotted the moon in its last bit of the first quarter phase last night so with the full moon in two days we should have some big Spring tides. Another interesting fact, this will be the last full moon of Winter and is known as a worm moon, great news if you're a Robin. :D

I think I need to get out more. :mrgreen: :geek:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to General Sailing Forum

User Menu