• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:14
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Formula

Formula 34 PC Kad42 twin Diesels

by BruceK » 03 Jun 2016, 17:52

That was on brokerage for £36k and still is at the moment unless the broker is slow. The 36 on shafts as to mine a 34 on legs is distinguishable by one main factor.

FUEL CONSUMPTION.

She's a lovely boat but goddamn thirsty and I turned an example in Pwllheli down. Other than that there is very little in the interior layout but with a bigger and more comfortable lower cockpit on the 36. That 2 foot makes a difference for sure.
BruceK

by Ianfs » 03 Jun 2016, 20:09

Here too..........................

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Cruiser/formula-36pc/115981#Xc5Zs2r4zpICUjoA.97

We have considered it but not sure what Mercruiser diesels are like long term. Typically I've heard good and bad about them, but fuel consumption must be high.

I still say it Bruce, that's a cracking boat you have there.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 03 Jun 2016, 20:26

So why is there a difference in fuel consumption between shafts and legs? I'd never have thought there'd be a difference?
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by BruceK » 03 Jun 2016, 23:38

Ah no. Significant difference in fuel consumption between shafts and legs. A lot has to do with shaft angle and prop size. Also those are 7.4 litre v8 diesels... two of. My KADS are 3.7 litre each but make only 60hp less. Shaft drives spin big props slower but need loads of torque to do so because the bigger endines dont rev to high so gearbox reduction becomes limited hence the bigger engines. Doesn't make them any faster or more efficient when talking planing speeds though. Legs are limited to size of boat because there is only so much torque you can push through them. 40 foot/15 tonnes being about the largest. The 36 really sits in leg territory.
Legs however are vulnerable, expensive to maintain or repair etc so you see a lot of bias and preferences between the two.
BruceK

Previous

Return to Formula

User Menu