• Boat Banter

    The Best British Boat Forum
It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 10:03

Sealine

Sealine S24

by kwil » 06 Apr 2018, 15:53

I have the KAD32 which is 170 HP, I cruise at 20-22 knots and max out at 29-30 knots. Cruise is about 1 litre per nautical mile.

Keith


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by ChrisH » 06 Apr 2018, 17:59

kwil wrote:I have the KAD32 which is 170 HP, I cruise at 20-22 knots and max out at 29-30 knots. Cruise is about 1 litre per nautical mile.

Keith


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's really helpful. Thanks Keith

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by ChrisH » 10 Apr 2018, 13:52

How are you finding the sea keeping?
I'm a bit confused as I though these had a deep V hull ,especially compared to many American counterparts, and was hoping that in a moderate sea it would kind of plough through the Solent mess to some extent at a slow planning speed?
But my google searches are showing for the boats I'm currently looking at, that a Wellcraft 2400 has a 20 degree deadrise , S24 18 degree, and the Draco I am looking at I can't see tell, but looking at Stu's boat, it seems like it must be 19 to 20 I would think? I was expecting the Sealine to be more like 20 ?
thanks
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by Ianfs » 11 Apr 2018, 12:59

I've often found that high dead rise and fine entry are a compromise for great ride against roll at anchor with planing cruisers.

Having said that, probably the best boat I've ever had the pleasure to go out in a heavy sea, apart from a Tamar class AWLB, was a Nelson hull design Seward. It has a fine entry with a rounded stern . It deepens amidships then rises to the stern. It will absolutely cut through anything and remain stable.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: 24 Nov 2014, 18:40
Location: Hampshire, by the Sea

by kwil » 11 Apr 2018, 16:47

Cruisers are very rarely deep V they are usually moderate V. The S24 is moderate with a reasonably fine entry. I have done a couple of Irish Sea crossings in F5/6 which is probably rougher than the Solent chop you mention, but it can be tiring keeping your concentration up for 4/5 hours.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by ChrisH » 11 Apr 2018, 18:57

kwil wrote:Cruisers are very rarely deep V they are usually moderate V. The S24 is moderate with a reasonably fine entry. I have done a couple of Irish Sea crossings in F5/6 which is probably rougher than the Solent chop you mention, but it can be tiring keeping your concentration up for 4/5 hours.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks both much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by ChrisH » 27 Apr 2018, 19:11

Kwil
Out if interest how do you find the kad32 in terms if noise and fumes?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by kwil » 28 Apr 2018, 07:56

Chris, it is noisy when the supercharger kicks in, but I quite like the noise. Once above the supercharger range, over about 2500 revs it is no noisier than any diesel. As for fumes, it is only whilst cold once warm there are non. But my engine is only just run in at less than 180 hours.

Keith


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by ChrisH » 28 Apr 2018, 23:12

kwil wrote:Chris, it is noisy when the supercharger kicks in, but I quite like the noise. Once above the supercharger range, over about 2500 revs it is no noisier than any diesel. As for fumes, it is only whilst cold once warm there are non. But my engine is only just run in at less than 180 hours.

Keith


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

Previous

Return to Sealine

cron

User Menu