• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:59

Sea Ray

1996 Searay 230 OV

by SeaRaySteve » 16 Mar 2016, 21:35

Image

Our Searay 230 OV purchased last year to replace a 260OV that we blew an engine in right start of the season, not wanting to miss out on any boating we bought this one and promptly blew the engine in this - DOH !

On stripping the engine we discovered it had been poorly rebuilt (was sold to us having a new engine) one of the Gudgeon pins had slipped and had ruined number 7 bore, leaving us with a scrap block

Decided at this point to bite the bullet and do things properly, so sourced a 502ci bib block Chevy from an old drag racing buddy, the engine had been built for a dragster that crashed on its 1st outing so was as good as new and had recently been dynoed at 580hp

1st outing blew the bravo clutch so it was rebuilt with X parts inc an X top plate

Dread to think how much we have spent in our quest to avoid rebuilding one of the 4.3s in the 260 but I think we have got her sorted now and thoroughly enjoyed the later half of the season, roll on Spring
SeaRaySteve
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:20

by Ianfs » 16 Mar 2016, 22:14

On stripping the engine we discovered it had been poorly rebuilt (was sold to us having a new engine) one of the Gudgeon pins had slipped and had ruined number 7 bore, leaving us with a scrap block

Bummer! :shock:

Decided at this point to bite the bullet and do things properly, so sourced a 502ci bib block Chevy from an old drag racing buddy, the engine had been built for a dragster that crashed on its 1st outing so was as good as new and had recently been dynoed at 580hp

Absolutely not a bummer! :shock:

Oh, that's one hell of a Boatbanter header picture. It's on the back burner ready to go. :mrgreen:

by SeaRaySteve » 16 Mar 2016, 22:53

Cool here's the original, you can trim it for a better fit

Image
SeaRaySteve
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:20

by Ianfs » 16 Mar 2016, 23:21

I'll keep it on the back burner, but as you were a founder member back in 2015, I may be able to fit it in soon.

Presumably you sold the Maxum and were able to keep the Sea Ray? :)

Also hope you are better now. :)

by SeaRaySteve » 16 Mar 2016, 23:40

Yep the maxim has been sold and my health is back on the up - good times ahead looking forward to getting the SeaRay back in the water this spring, have just spent the day stripping and rebuilding the trim rams, discovered the pump was full of water when I winterised her in Nov

1st trip out is planned for 2nd of April crazy as it sounds we are dragging her up to the Norfolk Broads for a week to be safety boat for our dinghy sailing club trip. A week in 60knt boat on 6knt waterway is going to be a tad frustrating

If you see the headlines "reckless lunatic boater arrested on hickling broad" you will know I got bored
SeaRaySteve
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:20

by SeaRaySteve » 16 Mar 2016, 23:55

A few more pics from last summer

Image

Image

Image

Image

My other boat - shock horror I'm also a raggy

Image
SeaRaySteve
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:20

by Ianfs » 17 Mar 2016, 23:58

Thanks for the photos Steve. Great to have you with us.

Plus I'm totally forgiving of the raggie thing if that's a C Class?

Not so much a raggie, more like a high speed ballistic missile!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

by SeaRaySteve » 18 Mar 2016, 07:52

Somebody knows his boats :)
Yes she is / was a C
Emma Hamilton, she is little Americas cup boat she won it twice in the 60's, hugely modified now with fuller bow sections and a much bigger rig
SeaRaySteve
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:20

by Ianfs » 18 Mar 2016, 08:34

You're very kind Steve, but apart from Hobie cats it's the only other cat I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Still looks modern and stunning. Timeless. :)

Return to Sea Ray