Boat Projects Forum

Should I fit a solar panel on the front of my boat?

by Gazjen » 02 Feb 2016, 01:19

Thinking about fitting a panel or two on the front of the Regal. I've thought about fitting one temporarily on the Bimini but it would make much more sense to have it stuck to the front deck. It would then help keep the batteries topped up in winter and hopefully in the summer help to run the fridge and lights.

These are the ones I've been looking at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301276302157

I can see the benefits I'm just not sure I want to stick it to the front of my boat. Has anyone got any thoughts or other ideas?
Gazjen

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by mlines » 02 Feb 2016, 09:13

On our Bayliner we used one to keep the battery healthy during the winter, however that was with the battery removed and on the conservatory floor. We never had a moments issue with the battery during the time we owned the boat (2009-2014).

However I would suspect they would not run a fridge and I see they need an additional controller for the charging.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ColinR » 02 Feb 2016, 10:50

I have one on the swim platform that I use to keep the battery topped up during the season.

Seems to work well. Helps being on top of the stack :D
User avatar
ColinR

Location: Hampshire, England

by _Ed_ » 02 Feb 2016, 11:58

I think they are a good idea. A pair of them in parallel with a basic MPPT charger would really make a noticeable difference.
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_

by shibbs » 02 Feb 2016, 17:02

I used to keep one in the windscreen, it tucked down one side so still saw the sun but was out of the way. I really need to sort something out for mine now too, I would keep under the screen again.

by Gazjen » 03 Feb 2016, 00:16

Cheers guys.

There would be 110w in total with a MPPT controller so would certainly help. It's just the sticking them to my boat bit I'm bothered about :)
Gazjen

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

Return to Boat Projects Forum