  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

News, Meets and Events

Newtown Creek and Drone video

by mlines » 02 Nov 2017, 14:59

I braved a drone flight on our last trip of the season out to Newtown Creek.

Bit of an experiment with the video and I understand some frame stuttering is visible on the YouTube version but I have such a poor internet connection I cannot see the issue. Probably due to a combination of the electronic gimbal stabilisation on the Drone, the framerate conversion within my editor (going from 29FPS to 24FPS) and YouTube transcoding.

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 02 Nov 2017, 19:29

mlines wrote:I braved a drone flight on our last trip of the season out to Newtown Creek.

Bit of an experiment with the video and I understand some frame stuttering is visible on the YouTube version but I have such a poor internet connection I cannot see the issue. Probably due to a combination of the electronic gimbal stabilisation on the Drone, the framerate conversion within my editor (going from 29FPS to 24FPS) and YouTube transcoding.

Great job Martin.. now need to do a chase shot

You should do that for each harbour. Think you would get loads of hits.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by mlines » 02 Nov 2017, 19:48

I am building myself up for a chase shot next year.

The Drone has an "activetrack" function but up until recently it has a reputation of being difficult to use from a moving platform and you therefore risk the loss of the drone. You will note in the video that the boat moves around whilst the drone just hovers which is the safest way.

However DJI have released new firmware this week that brings along a dynamic home point function which seems to support better a moving "home" point. I therefore plan to practice using a car over the winter and get ready for next year.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by shibbs » 02 Nov 2017, 20:13

Nicely done! 8-)

by Ianfs » 02 Nov 2017, 20:17

Great piloting Martin, I thought your video is excellent and James driving is great too.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would a chase shot from a harbour get lots of hits? Is it because skippers would like to see how you leave the harbour and what channel markings there are, me included? :)

by ChrisH » 03 Nov 2017, 19:07

mlines wrote:I am building myself up for a chase shot next year.

The Drone has an "activetrack" function but up until recently it has a reputation of being difficult to use from a moving platform and you therefore risk the loss of the drone. You will note in the video that the boat moves around whilst the drone just hovers which is the safest way.

However DJI have released new firmware this week that brings along a dynamic home point function which seems to support better a moving "home" point. I therefore plan to practice using a car over the winter and get ready for next year.
Ahh be brave and fly the chase by hand.. Dan did this on ours in Spain. I was so scared he would dunk the drone .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 03 Nov 2017, 19:09

Ianfs wrote:Great piloting Martin, I thought your video is excellent and James driving is great too.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would a chase shot from a harbour get lots of hits? Is it because skippers would like to see how you leave the harbour and what channel markings there are, me included? :)
Sorry my bad.. two suggestions.. 1. Chase shot. 2.. some ariel footage of various harbours.. I have not been to Newtown. Now I have seen the footage it's now on my list of places to visit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Return to News, Meets and Events