  • In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

News, Meets and Events

Solent and Needles

by mlines » 11 Aug 2017, 15:31

Some of you may recall that we have temporarily relocated Witch Way to the Dry Stack at Universal Marina on the River Hamble. This is because we wanted to try the dry stack experience and also I have family matters to attend to this year so the move will enable James to keep boating whilst I cannot.

This has been a particularly bad few weeks for weather with the wind limiting the enjoyment of the water. However, by watching the forecasts closely we saw a weather window open up on the Solent for Thursday evening.

This report from BrambleMet (post-event record) shows that window

Image.

For most of the week it has been 10knots or above. Whilst we can do trips in winds of over 10knots you end up just fighting the weather and boat rather than enjoying the trip. So the forecast showed a drop from 3pm onwards so we booked the lift and had the boat put in the water.

It is still a gamble as, with it being windy all week, it is hit and miss as to whether the seas have moderated even with the wind dropping.

Still, when we got there it was looking hopeful

Image

However it was a little concerning that yachts were sailing within the Hamble river....

Image

Image

Then there is that moment when you exit the river mouth and realise you had chosen the weather correctly!

Image

So we took a beautiful sunset trip to the Needles and back. The empty Solent meant continuous running at between 30 and 40 knots peaking at 43 knots. Its a delightful place to be when the sea is completely flat and there are no boats around.

I will let the rest of the pictures set the scene.

Image

A smooth run through Calshot.
Image

Image

Image

Image

30 minutes later we were at the Needles

Image

Alum bay cliffs were glowing red (picture not quite showing real life)

Image

Image

Image

Image

As the sun set it was Boys Toys lights on and home for a beer

Image

Image

Image

So a great 20th trip this year, the dry-stack is working well when we pay careful attention to the weather and grab our chances.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by shibbs » 11 Aug 2017, 21:19

Looks great!! Glad you've been making the most of it.
Dry stack does seem to be the best option by far in my opinion!
All about making the most of it even at last minute to make it all worth while.

by mlines » 14 Aug 2017, 07:03

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 14 Aug 2017, 10:58

Fantastic Martin and James.

I have family matters to attend to this year

I hope they are not sad one's? :(

Judging from the direction the yacht is tacking looks like light North Easterlies which would help with the sea state. Did you manage to get your water distribution pump fixed?

There are some awesome shots, may I ask what sort of camera you use?

by mlines » 14 Aug 2017, 15:11

Ian,

Going to disappoint you on the camera, its a smartphone for a lot of the pictures.

There are a few with my Pentax DSLR but that is actually lower resolution than the phone so was only used for a couple where I wanted a different lens.

We are awaiting Tom Parker to visit today to complete the diagnosis on the water pump.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by mlines » 16 Aug 2017, 21:10

Its been diagnosed, a water pipe down behind the sea water pump has come loose due to a failed clip. Leaking water and the hose has moved and is rubbing on a pulley.

New pipe on order and hopefully back in operation by the weekend so James can enjoy his week off.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire