• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:36

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hello from landlocked Lincolnshire

by betty boop » 01 Jan 2017, 16:57

Ha Ha sorry Geoff I must seem quite a novice to someone so experienced of this fair area. I tip my hat to you sir :D I think we're almost on the same lines for the area, I just come at it from a negative south Londoner point of view. Boating is possible but generally not seemed to be encouraged locally by the authorities, who ever they may be. The EA for instance, sold the The Wirrina ramp (i think is the same one just under the FP parkway adjacent to the Bishops Rd park) back to PB council who then closed them to stop people enjoying themselves, albeit on jet ski's, the final straw being idiots who crashed into the town bridge at high speed. added 1 very large river barrier, I have the key luckily, but the height barrier key is still an issue. The only access there after is the PB sailing club but after much discussion with miss BB we decided the yearly membership fee's out weighed our yearly usage of the nene in PB and instead opt for the Fairline ramp at Oundle and GO at hatford marina.

Looks like theres lots to discuss about the local area and look forward to having a chat sometime. If you pass through G Hill you'll know which one is my house, the only one smack in the middle of the village with a large boat you just cant miss. We were in a Bridge Inn Crowlands recently, mentioned the boat and half the pub automatically knew which house we lived in :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 01 Jan 2017, 17:39

Hi bb, Happy new year Yes that is the slip we used to use and I was unaware that it no longer used. Height barriers on the river? does that mean that there is no longer access to the lock at the dog in a doublet? We have used the Oundle slip, in 1984 we bought a new Carrera from Kitchener Marina at Bedford, and because we lived close to Fairline were able to follow the build from resin barrels and glass mat through to the launch and collection at Oundle. It would be nice to meet up for chat sometime, so if I find myself in your area I will keep a lookout for your boat. We have just received a council brochure that refers to a new marina at Sutton bridge, do you know anything about that? I am hoping to get started on my boat project this month and will be posting progress soon. Regards. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 02 Jan 2017, 17:00

Yes I got the same County Council propaganda :lol: From the BBC I understand the 'marina' is a visitor extension to the wind turbine support moorings in the SB port, 6 alongside pontoon berths I think, pretty much the same as Wisbech marina in the town centre. They did say it was part of some long term expansion plan but not sure how.

height barrier over the car park entrance not the river :lol: - so unless your boat/car is less than 6'4" you are pretty much knackered, even a VW T5 wouldnt get underneath. With Betty (Maxum 1800mx) we used to take down the canopy cover frame to squeeze under but no chance with the Karnic,
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by BruceK » 03 Jan 2017, 17:08

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum. I see you made it in despite me being late to the party. :D
BruceK

by lewlew100 » 03 Jan 2017, 22:54

Hi Bruce, yes thank you, I made it in the end, but it did take me over 12 hours and I still don't know what the problem was - probably my connection. Still not sorted out my engine dilemma, and just do not know where to look for your "cheap as chips" engines!!! so will probably end up with fitting my 4.3 GXI Volvo. Anyway thanks again for your help. Geoff.

BB, although Lincolnshire is one of the largest counties, most people seem to notice almost everything, so your boat in GH is probably now a local landmark. I hope to meet up with you soon . Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 04 Jan 2017, 18:02

Hi Geoff

Thank you for being so patient and waiting. I know it will be worth it, this forum has some of the most experienced boating fanatics and now it seems we have The Professor.

I've checked the activation speed and it seemed to work well for a new activation only 15mins so I can only assume it was the server load for emails at this time of year.

I look forward to more of you posts.

by lewlew100 » 04 Jan 2017, 20:32

Hi lanfs, thanks, as i said it was probably a connection problem - ever since we change to bt infinity things seem to have slowed down!! I did contact BruceK on another forum to enlist his help, but did sort itself out in the end. I wanted to join this forum because I felt that there is a wealth of experience here,but sadly although I am a bit old I am no professor. Most of my posts now will probably be in the projects forum. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 05 Jan 2017, 22:49

Thanks Geoff

Not that you are likely too, but if you have any more trouble of any kind, please e-mail the Admin address at the bottom of the page under Contact Us.

I read your message to Bruce, he certainly has a lovely boat. My intention was originally to have a picture at the top of the forum of a members boat and change it every month, but sometimes if the picture looks that good, I leave it there a little longer.

It's now due for a change! :mrgreen:

by lewlew100 » 06 Jan 2017, 20:06

Leave it for a bit longer, it really does look nice. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 09 Jan 2017, 22:58

Okay Dokey. :D

Previous

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!