• Boat Banter

It is currently 13 May 2024, 01:01

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hello from landlocked Lincolnshire

by lewlew100 » 30 Dec 2016, 00:43

I have just discovered this site today and seem to have had problems getting the activation email, but all seems to be ok now. I am 73 years young and bought my first boat (a Loftus Bennet 19ft hull and superstructure for home completion) at the 1967 Earls Court boat show. Several boats and years later in 1984 I bought a new Fairline Carrera, a boat which I loved. This boat was sold after a few years to finance the purchase, renovation and conversion of an old village school near Bourne, Lincolnshire. Two years ago I aquired a set of moulds for an 18' fast fisher with the intention of building 2 boats, one for myself and one for a friend. My boat is built up to fit out stage, my friend has changed his priorities (his wife insists a new house they are building is more important) and my wife has decided that if we are getting back into boating it must be with something manageable, but a cruiser (still hoping to do some fishing). To cut a very long story short my current project is to restore (hopefully to get on the water during 2017) an engineless/legless 1988 radar arch model Fairline Carrera. I hope to get started in the new year and will post progress/photos in the motor boat project forum here. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 30 Dec 2016, 09:08

HI Geoff and welcome to the forum, Glad to hear there are now 2 of us from the waste lands of Lincs on the forum although your in the posh part. We're based on the boarder of Cambs n Lincs at Gedney Hill south Spalding, parked on the drive is a 22 ft Karnic sports fisher not quite a project but gives me enough to think about :-) sounds like you are well prepared and experienced at such projects but if your looking for a helping hand give me a shout and happy to help out a neighbour / future employer :-) :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 30 Dec 2016, 09:55

Hi bb and thanks for the welcome. I had noticed from your previous post about local slipways that you were from the Spalding area and thought that perhaps we may make contact. I have had several boats and a bit of experience, but all that finished 40 (I don't believe it!!!) years ago, so now consider myself a bit of a "newbie". I also noticed that your boat has a Mercruiser 4.3 v6 engine, I think that is the same block as the Volvo GXI that I may be installing in the Carrera, but I shall post more about that later in the projects forum - I started a thread there last night (some stupid hour this morning). Your Karnic sounds like a nice boat, Where do you keep it? Do you trail or is it on a mooring? Regards, Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 30 Dec 2016, 10:01

DOH!!! sorry bb sadly I cannot see the post I am replying to whilst posting and do not know how to edit my last one. Had a senior moment (don't get old) just now - If your boat is parked on your drive I assume you trail. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 30 Dec 2016, 13:38

Hello lewlew100

Welcome to our forum.

It's a bit quiet this time of year but will soon wake up.

FYI if you want to "edit" a post, at the top you'll see a few blue square's with white symbols, the one with the fountain pen nib is the edit post button. Hope that helps.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum, I am very much looking forward to your write ups. :)

by lewlew100 » 30 Dec 2016, 14:01

Hi Lanfs, thanks for your welcome and the "nib" tip. I am looking forward to starting my project and will post progress and photos along the way. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by sprocker » 30 Dec 2016, 18:52

Hello Geoff, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a very interesting project! Looking forward to your future write-ups and pics.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by lewlew100 » 30 Dec 2016, 19:39

Hi Sprocker, thanks for the welcome. I shall be posting details and pics of my project, but I shall never be able to post any pics like the ones of your absolutely beautiful boat - unless of course I were to win the lottery - but that is even more unlikely than for most people - we Never Ever buy a ticket. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 31 Dec 2016, 13:22

Hi Geoff - yes you got it spot on she's on a trailer towed with a kia Sorrento at the moment. Not sure I added any pics to the readers wives erm boats section - another job for the spring time after the wraps come off. We're not locals and I was dragged up by the other half a few years ago so we tend to tow the boat a distance back to familiar waters. When thats not possible we head for the G Ouse down at Huntingdon/St Ives. We used to frequent the Nene but the larger new boat wont fit under any of the anti traveller barriers around the peterborough ramps. Other than that its Crowlands onto the Welland but the river is closed both ends up to Spalding so its only once a year we bother with that one.

Being a tough ex lifeboat man I'm way to scared to run out of either of the 3 big rivers into the wash, despite having facilities to do so, I've heard of way to many scary stories and muddy waters isnt really my idea of a fun day out. If your an expert to pass on some local knowledge though may be a summer trip out may be in order. We're not too sure what 2017 will bring for our boating yet, unfortunately I'm a man of leisure with no income at the moment trying to convince someone in Spalding to employ me (with a large salary obviously :lol: ) Great time for a boating project but not a good time to pay for one :D :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 31 Dec 2016, 15:25

Hi bb, glad to hear that you are a trailer sailor (I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your rig), that is also my intention for the Carrera. We are also not genuine "yellow bellies", but on our return from Germany in 1972 elected to buy a house in Lincolnshire (Cowbit) as it seemed to represent the best value for money at that house price spiraling time (£9k for a house that would have been£5k just six months earlier). We have had river moorings at Spalding, Boston, Lincoln (Brayford pool) and Alwalton where we still are "life members" of the cruising club, but boat less for the last 30 years!!! I was unaware about any anti traveller barriers P'boro,. We have launched from the slip close just along the bank behind the Wirrina, but I guess that is no longer an option. There is (or was) a nice slip at our boat club. We have been on the G.O. and have been down to Bedford (very weedy) and also out into the wash via Denver, but it was always a drag through the middle level. I think your idea is the best one - drag the boat to where there is some proper water. On one of our club "wash"trips I let the others do their overnight stint to get there and elected to trail the boat (Fairline weekend 21) to Hunstanton and launch and retrieve from there. We were parked by the slipway frying breakfast and talking to the others who had yet to arrive at the Roger sands. The Welland is quite landlocked, we were able to go down the channel and had arranged with the lock keeper to go through when the tide was right, we went out into the wash and then into the Witham and up to Boston, Lincoln and then up the Trent (away from the sea). I presume that is still a possibility, but am not sure. The wash can indeed be a dangerous place, but we have only ever been out there when the weather forecast.
Sorry to hear that you are currently not working, boating has always been an expensive (but very enjoyable when not worrying about the next disaster) past time and it is difficult sometimes to understand why we do it!! - but we do. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

Next

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!