• Boat Banter

It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:19

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi from Sheffield

by Stevie101 » 14 Aug 2016, 20:49

Hi all

The wife and myself have had a couple of boats over the last few years, a Norman 23, then an Elysium 27.
Both canal/river cruises but we have now just bought our first Sports Cruiser a Maxum 2300SCR with a 4.3 mercruiser engine and Alpha 1 leg.
I'm hoping to take my powerboat 2 later this year and get lots of advice from you guys on here!
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by Ianfs » 15 Aug 2016, 07:36

Hello Stevie
A very warm welcome to our forum.

You'll get lots of great advice here, there are some really experienced members.

You've bought a very nice boat and with a great engine combination. I look forward to seeing some pictures when you're ready.

Where will you be boating?

by Stevie101 » 15 Aug 2016, 16:41

Hi buddy,

We are up near Goole at the moment so easy access to the Humber and river Trent.
Really looking forward to venturing out to sea and would love to go out with another boat for the forest few times.
I will be taking a few pics this weekend so will try and get them up.
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by betty boop » 15 Aug 2016, 20:22

welcome, nice boat, I looked at one recently and think Maxums are definite a quality above some things out there. Theres a link (was) to the service manual on the 4.3 I just posted recently if not I'll email a PDF copy if u need it. or theres the online version - definitely needed if your 1/2 handy with engines to save a few £ and winterise it.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Stevie101 » 17 Aug 2016, 18:02

Hi Betty Boop

If you could email it me that would be great thanks.
I've not messed with engines since I drove a cortina and Capri lol ( gives my age away)
But I was handy with a spanner back then
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by Ianfs » 17 Aug 2016, 21:42

Interestingly enough Mercruiser Chevy blocks and general mechanics haven't changed much in 40 yrs, its the ancillaries which marinise the engines, like throttle and shift controls, which baffle us all from time to time. On the plus side, if you have a Manufacturers Manual, all is usually relvealed.

by betty boop » 18 Aug 2016, 08:39

no problem PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

I have the 4.3 MPI which is one of them plug in a diagnose engines, takes the guess work out I assume but means your stuck to Merc engineers with a diaog tool.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Gazjen » 22 Aug 2016, 18:51

Welcome Stevie.

I've been off forum for a while but I'm pretty local to you down in Nottingham. We generally use our boat down south Poole/Torquay on the Trent or up on Lomond. We are actually thinking of venturing up on to the tidal Trent in the near future for a look around. We have quite a gang of us now with 4 trailer boats in my immediate area with maybe a fifth and sixth joining us in winter.
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by betty boop » 23 Aug 2016, 11:25

Gazjen wrote:Welcome Stevie.

I've been off forum for a while but I'm pretty local to you down in Nottingham. We generally use our boat down south Poole/Torquay on the Trent or up on Lomond. We are actually thinking of venturing up on to the tidal Trent in the near future for a look around. We have quite a gang of us now with 4 trailer boats in my immediate area with maybe a fifth and sixth joining us in winter.

you can count me in with that, We've been looking at Farndon for a while as a trip out. We've done Lincoln and thats 1 1/2 and reckon Farndon Marina is about the same so easily within out over night range, A47 to PeterB A1 North etc. Cant rememeber but I think your the one who put me on to it in the fist place.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Say hello and introduce yourself!